December 19, 2009

“Enhance!” A funny montage of fake image processing

During the screening of Avatar yesterday, the Photoshop team burst into spontaneous laughter when a character uttered the magic word:

At least I did get to give the on-screen effects crew behind CSI some good-natured grief a couple of years back.
[Via Stu Maschwitz & everyone ever]

Posted by John Nack at 12:50 PM on December 19, 2009

Comments

• Navarro Parker — 2:19 PM on December 19, 2009

Beautiful! I love it! Enemy of the State was the absolutely worst offender. CSI: Miami is a close second.

• Jeff Foster — 2:39 PM on December 19, 2009

Awesome! :)

• csegeek — 3:22 PM on December 19, 2009

Now that’s funny… wish I had all of those programs .. especially the setup from BladeRunner.. now thats the stuff..
    Great Montage thanks

• gordophoto — 5:30 PM on December 19, 2009

The z├║uuumm from Steve Martin enhanced my laughter.

• Colin Smith — 11:28 PM on December 19, 2009

I work closely with law enforcement imaging specialist and they all know this is BS. But what drives them crazy is when lawyers expect these techniques to be real

• PECourtejoie — 1:06 AM on December 20, 2009

So, when do we get a smart enhance filter? In 64 bits, multi-core aware, GPU accelerated, and some coating of Altivec…
    And remember, base it on html5, and make the interface with the close buttons on the correct side, not the right side, because the right side is erm… wrong ;)

• Joseph S. — 2:58 AM on December 20, 2009

“Got an image enhancer that can Bitmap?”
    “Enhance the z-axis”
    “With the right combination of algorithms…”

• Ray H. — 4:21 AM on December 20, 2009

very funny, but that’s unfortunately exactly the fact that makes clients kind of stupid and makes them think, the job is just one click! yeah! :-)

• Daemon — 12:19 PM on December 20, 2009

Enhance is so last year. What new series are going for is 3D rotation on basis of one 2D image. That is THE SHIZZNIT!
    Needles to say, we had client asking to do that. He brought one image of interior of yachts his company builds, and asked us to make 3D interior. =)

• Stu Fraser — 8:58 AM on December 21, 2009

An amusing addition would’ve been from “Super Troopers” where the character keeps hammering on the keyboard (at random) saying “Enhance” “Enhance” and finally just prints a picture. :-)

• Conrad Chavez — 9:32 AM on December 21, 2009

This Red Dwarf clip is probably the ultimate expression of “Enhance!”:

• Trenton Moore — 3:17 PM on December 21, 2009

Dear Ps Team,
    I just thought I should be the first to warn you that many of your future technologies have been leaked through the movie industry. I’ve witnessed many films where they’re displaying technologies I’ve never seen, they’re simply amazing! I recently saw one guy take a 2mp photo from a phone and enhance it enough to grab the reflections from the photographer’s eye. While I’m sure you guys are all over this new (probably even old to you) stuff, I thought it might be helpful to let you know that the general public could possibly now know about it. If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to call. I’ll do my best to keep these things hush-hush. mmh-kay, Thanks!

• Andrew McCormick — 5:52 AM on December 23, 2009

lol… i agree. i was just watching Enemy of the State a couple days and couldn’t believe that.

• conbarba — 6:59 AM on December 24, 2009

I always loved another can-do-all word: “Interpolate!”

• Bob — 8:33 AM on March 01, 2010

But this is new research…

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)