January 17, 2010

Type-n-Walk (‘n Not Die)

It’s sobering, though unsurprising, to hear that “distracted walking” due to cellphones now routinely lands people in the emergency room. Being a nervous parent who yet can’t help getting bored while his toddler relocates the umpteenth pile of wood chips at the park, I’m always afraid of becoming a cautionary tale: The Guy Whose Kid Fell Down A Well While Dad Tweeted or something.

Now Type-n-Walk proposes a novel (if only partial) solution–a video feed of the real world that runs underneath your text:

[Via Michael Coleman]

Posted by John Nack at 1:05 PM on January 17, 2010

Comments

• Andrew Meit — 1:46 PM on January 17, 2010

As one who uses a white cane when I am out and about, I am amazed how rude and unaware those texting folk are. I am often having to show, “Watch out!” I learned to keep my eyes aware and focused. My cane is not a fashion statement, but a much needed tool. Texting can wait, safety cant. So, pay attention peeps!! Thank you!

• Erik Natzke — 3:19 PM on January 17, 2010

This would come in handy while driving as well.

• TomasF — 3:38 AM on January 18, 2010

Fun, but (like 99,99% of the other 100 000 iphone apps) completely useless. I’m willing to bet quite a lot it’s not the field of vision but the lack of attention (brain-time) on traffic that gets people in trouble.
    Pop by the ER and ask the texting victims how many of them were hit by something coming straight at them on the sidewalk? My bet is… not so many.

• jcool — 8:15 AM on January 18, 2010

I was STANDING STILL and was actually plowed into at the movie theater this weekend by a woman texting. Her friend’s response “She does that all the time.”
    She must be a fabulous driver.

• Joseph Sims — 9:55 AM on January 18, 2010

Wow, motion sickness… and I don’t get motion sickness… that was awful though… and only at small size.

• buy r4 dsi — 8:48 AM on January 22, 2010

I’m afraid to admit this, but I have tripped while texting on my iphone! At walmart, of all places! I was texting while walking up to the front door and didn’t notice a speed bump – one of the most gradual and low speed bumps I’ve ever seen! I tripped and fell but managed to keep my arm up in the air, so no damage to the phone my new boots though, they got a little scratched up.

Copyright © 2019 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)