February 03, 2010

Interesting time lapse panorama

“Stop motion tilt-shift meets tracking,” says the creator of this video. I’m not sure what to call it, but it’s kind of intriguing.

[Via]

Posted by John Nack at 3:58 PM on February 03, 2010

Comments

• Bastiaan van Oorde — 5:00 PM on February 03, 2010

Funny, he seems to be using the artifacts that optical flow retiming generates. When it interpolates frames with to much change between them.
    Another creative use of the limitations/errors of our creative tools.

• Shane — 5:12 PM on February 03, 2010

I thought it was very interesting indeed. I have seen similar effects but not quite like this one .Well done.

• Aravind — 5:17 PM on February 03, 2010

Hmmmmm.. makes me want to throw up. Not figuratively but literally. Not to slight the author or his content but there’s just something about the video that gives me the same feeling as car sickness…

• Rich Morey — 8:14 PM on February 03, 2010

Interesting.. The initial imagery that started the video looked like a simple “stedicam” type movement but then it got weird. Sort of replicates what its like to be drunk.. or in a dream like state.

• Bramus! — 2:15 AM on February 04, 2010

Stop-Motion + Morhping = Stop-Morphing?

• Ben — 7:01 AM on February 04, 2010

I’ve never seen something like that.
    Very very intriguing indeed.
    I really like it. Well, Now, I know what I’m going to do this weekend.

• Tiemen — 3:02 PM on February 04, 2010

Funny.. indeed what I see is stop-motion & morph. No tilt-shift and no tracking..?
    I don’t like the obvious morph-effects, but I do like the perspective distorting bits.

• Andyp — 9:54 AM on February 14, 2010

the author got the quote wrong
    “Stop motion tilt-shift meets tracking,” is for mustardcuffins other video “Still Moving”. This video they say “I drift, half awake, half asleep. Moving through the city I recall but have never been to.”

• james wardenn — 6:12 AM on June 21, 2010

i’ve been seeing a few people try and copy this technique – does it have a name yet?

• Dave Remeta — 12:50 PM on August 04, 2010

Mr. Nack, I was fascinated to view your stop motion video. I am a rank amateur with a Canon EOS 5D II, and I’m keen to do as Pro-level as I can pretend to, specifically panoramic shooting from Cloud’s Rest in Yosemite. This peak offers an amazing vista, looking down on Half Dome from the north side as well as back up the Moraine glacier valley. I’m on the cusp of making a big decision, what landscape lens to buy? I’ve got $2000 burning a hole in my bank account and am strongly considering the Canon EF 14mm 2.8L, vs the Canon tilt shift 24mm. Since I can only afford one right now, which would you say to go for? I have the lens the camera came with, the 24-105 zoom. Thank you for your trouble.

[Boy, I wish I could offer some useful guidance, but I'm afraid I haven't got a clue. I think that a photography forum (particularly one tied to panorama shooting) would be a better source of info. If you find out something useful, you're more than welcome to post your findings on my blog.
    --J.]

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)