March 08, 2010

HP & Adobe demo Flash on an HP tablet

Looking good:

Wired hosts more details on tablet plans from HP & Dell.
This stuff all looks solid, but I remain most excited about creative possibilities for multitouch drawing, painting, and object manipulation. Fortunately Flash Player supports multitouch, so I expect we’ll see all kinds of interesting experiments.

Posted by John Nack at 7:52 PM on March 08, 2010

Comments

• Jeff Foster — 12:34 AM on March 09, 2010

YES! This is how the iPad should have worked in the first place!

• Simon Walden — 2:11 AM on March 09, 2010

Which is why we all want it on iphone / ipad

• David Lance — 4:49 AM on March 09, 2010

HP needs to spend some $$$ to get this out as an obvious better alternative to the iPad. Preferably before April 3.

• Danny Smythe — 6:34 AM on March 09, 2010

Well, I’m excited about the iPad, but not for it’s creative potential. I’m a graphic artist and I can’t see multitouch creations replacing what can be done with my Desktop and Wacom, anymore than finger painting replacing paintbrushes. I think it misses the point of what people want a tablet for. This HP Dell tablet appears to be trying to be yet another iPad killer. Skating to where the puck used to be.

• jcool — 7:33 AM on March 09, 2010

Amazing, the power of Apple’s marketing. HP has been making tablets for years, and this one was announced and shown before the iPad was announced.
    Now, even before the iPad has been released, HP’s device is being labeled “yet another iPad killer”.
    The fanboi, it is strong.

• Danny Smythe — 8:13 AM on March 09, 2010

The title of the article is “HP’s Windows 7 Slate Strikes at the iPad”.
    The truth is we haven’t gotten our hands on either device yet. Only until then, can we make an intelligent decision which best suits our needs.

• RogerT — 9:11 AM on March 09, 2010

This is some cool stuff, but I really want it on my iPhone someday soon. Pretty please! :-)

• cas — 10:01 AM on March 09, 2010

Well,something has changed.
    You have noticed a Windows computer…

• Marco — 10:26 AM on March 09, 2010

But how will ‘a casual flash game’ know I’m using a Slate with muli-toutch? A lot of casual games assume you have a mouse, can rightclick or use the keyboard…

• John Dowdell — 1:28 PM on March 09, 2010

“Marco”, Mike Chambers has info on how Player helps with cross-device input mapping:
    jd/adobe

• scott graham — 3:29 PM on March 09, 2010

the videos are never visible on the blog for me. No image, no arrow to start.
    Is it something about my browser settings, or are they blocked in china, or???
    Thanks

• Marco — 11:52 PM on March 09, 2010

@JD: Thanks!!!

• Jim Pogozelski — 5:13 AM on March 10, 2010

I agree with Danny about finger-painting.
    I use multi-touch all the time with the laptop etc., for moving files and folders and web pages around. But a pen would be needed for drawing and painting. My kids like KidArt on the iPhone, but for paying work a pen or brush is needed.
    But it seems like the big thing Adobe cares about is video playing, not doing actual work. As John says, Flash has the popular video player (as he keeps reminding us).

• John Dowdell — 7:10 PM on March 10, 2010

Sorry, yes, that video is hosted on YouTube, and I believe this Google property is still difficult to reach through ISPs in mainland China.
    jd/adobe

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)