March 22, 2010

Lightroom 3.0 beta 2 arrives

Outstanding new noise reduction technology & much more are now available in beta 2 of Lightroom 3.0, a free download from Adobe Labs. Highlights of this release include:

• Improved performance throughout the application for faster importing and loading of images
  • Native tethered shooting support for select Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras
  • Luminance noise reduction has been added to the previous color noise reduction improvements available in the first public beta for outstanding overall high ISO quality
  • Support for importing and managing video files from DSLR cameras for better overall photographic workflow control
  • Improvements to the import experience in the first beta to reflect public feedback
  • Improved watermarking functionality from the first beta to reflect public feedback
  • Additional Preliminary Camera Support
    • Canon EOS 550D (Rebel T2i / Kiss X4 Digital)
    • Olympus E-PL1
    • Panasonic G2
    • Panasonic G10
    • Sony Alpha 450 (A450)

Check out the Lightroom Journal for detailed info about the new release.

Posted by John Nack at 9:21 PM on March 22, 2010

Comments

• Raph — 10:48 PM on March 22, 2010

Wow, great stuff thanks John.
    Although there’s a little spelling mistake on Adobe Labs: On the main screen in featured technologies section stands “Photoshop Lightroom 3 beta 3″. But it is beta2 right?

• Tony — 4:49 AM on March 23, 2010

Also, currently clicking on the “Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 beta ” link in the Recent Releases section, it leads to the “Adobe Flex Builder 3 for Linux” article.

• Robert Prins — 6:35 AM on March 23, 2010

So no trimming of video clips? or bringing them into a slideshow? rats! – Lets hope that makes it to the final release.

• Geoff Smith — 7:02 AM on March 23, 2010

Wow, the tethered shooting is just great. Thank you! Finally a real alternative to C1 for studio/catalog work. One thing though, is there a way to apply a crop (in my case a simple center crop, such as when you just turn on the 4×5/8×10 preset in the crop tool) to incoming images as they are captured? I tried saving a preset, but it doesn’t include the crop bits of the dev. module.

• KC — 7:03 AM on March 23, 2010

Yes, that’s all we need, another photo device watered down to work with video nonsense.
    It isn’t enough that camera’s are having video shoved into them, now core software programs are becoming bloatware.
    Let’s hope that we don’t have to waste money on something that most photographers aren’t/won’t use.

• Geoff Smith — 7:26 AM on March 23, 2010

Just figured out that this works if you use the ‘same as previous’ setting in the tethered capture bar’s preset pop up! Yay! Thanks again. Bye-bye C1? :)

• Robert Prins — 8:07 AM on March 23, 2010

“Video Nonsense” is here to stay and I believe a lot of photographers are using video now to a certain degree to bring more value to their business. Simple clip trimming would be an excellent addition as well as incorporating video into a slide show

• morten — 8:37 AM on March 23, 2010

Like all previous versions, the Mac version still can’t handle UTF8 keywords in IPTC.

• Harald H — 8:43 AM on March 23, 2010

Will there be a upgrade option from LR2 to LR3?

• gaspy — 9:15 AM on March 23, 2010

The new luminance smoothing is incredible. It completely eliminates the need for NoiseNinja or NeatImage.
    Now all I need is optical corrections and I’ll be the first in line to buy it.

• Klaus Nordby — 10:10 AM on March 23, 2010

Wow, I just tried tethered shooting with LR and my Nikon D3 — it’s fabulous! I have once plunked down a staggering 150 bucks for Nikon’s Camera Control, but I don’t particularly like using it, so this one feature alone will kick me into upgrading. The noise reduction seems quite good, too. Now if we only could get some real GPS support in the shipping version, then LR3 will really be a wonderful tool!

• Nik — 11:43 AM on March 23, 2010

The RAW rendering for the Nikon D700 is still broken when you use the Camera Standard profiles – Please, Please get this fixed as all the improvements made so far are useless if the images look terrible. I Bought Aperture 3 the other day as its the only option I had to get decent results with my D700, its driving me (and many others by the looks of the complaints in forums) mad!

• Mirko Maus — 12:10 PM on March 23, 2010

Woohoo! I love the tethered shooting support!
    Great Work!

• Nik Player — 3:10 PM on March 23, 2010

Adobe have just released new Profiles for the D3 / D700 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/602274
    First impressions are very good.

• Domenico Piol — 3:11 AM on March 26, 2010

Support for 550D? Are you sure? The detailed info link doesn’t mention support for that one…

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)