April 04, 2010

Draw & share with Adobe Ideas for iPad

ipad_example2.jpgAdobe Ideas, the company’s first iPad app, is now live on the Apple App Store. Here’s a set of full-res screenshots.

This free app helps you sketch out ideas, annotate photographs, extract color themes from photographs, and more. Sketches created in Adobe Ideas can be emailed as a PDF for editing in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop or viewing with any PDF viewer.

Key features:

• Simple vector-based drawing tools
  • Zoom control without jaggies or big pixels
  • Variable-size brushes using multitouch control (i.e. you can resize the brush tip on the fly while painting, approximating pressure sensitivity)
  • Vector eraser
  • Huge virtual canvas
  • Automatic creation of harmonized color themes from your photos or images
  • Ability to email ideas as PDF files for editing in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop or for viewing with any PDF viewer
  • Gallery-style organizer to quickly scroll through your ideas and color themes
  • Separate drawing and photo layers
  • Easy creation of multiple versions of design concepts
  • 50-level undo

We’re eager to hear your feedback. It’ll be interesting to rethink what an app should be, especially as Adobe tools are known for being big and feature-rich as opposed to light & tightly focused. Where should the Ideas team take the app from here? What else would you like to see Adobe bring to tablets?

Posted by John Nack at 9:44 AM on April 04, 2010

Comments

• Welles — 10:07 AM on April 04, 2010

Hi John. This looks very elegant and our thanks to Adobe is in order. There is one oddity about the iTunes page, though. The boxed rating/review graph doesn’t reflect the actual 11 reviews which are mostly 5 star with a couple of 4’s. I wonder if the App store is just overwhelmed with the new iPad app rush and an occasional detail like that gets lost in the intense level of activity which must be going on over there.

• Colin smith — 11:02 AM on April 04, 2010

Nice one John. I downloaded this yesterday, still have to play around. It looks pretty nice though

• kleecs1 — 11:11 AM on April 04, 2010

I think it is an fun little app. What would make it sing for me is text insertion options. As an Architect, I am looking for a way to annotate PDFs on the iPad. If I could use this to sketch overtop and then add notes (at all sizes, most often very tiny compared to the image size) this would become the most valuable tool possible for any tablet. In a perfect world, the app would also let me import a PDF to begin with. At this stage, I had to save the PDF to a JPG and then sync it as a “photo.”

• Stephan Lenting — 12:58 PM on April 04, 2010

To be honest, i’m not really impressed with a sketching app from Adobe. There are multiple sketching apps available which have more comprehensive features. I’d like to see more specific ‘Adobe’-features, to set Adobe Ideas apart from the competition and let it be more integrated in the daily workflow. One thing i’d like to see is an application like Adobe Script, which is build for pre-production/early design stages, but then made for wireframing purposes (which of course can be integrated in Photoshop). Of course, an Adobe Script iPad app would also make a great addition to the App Store.

• Sean Foushee — 2:10 PM on April 04, 2010

Excellent app! For a free offering this is terrific and offers just enough option for quick sketching of ideas.

• Matthew Fabb — 5:29 PM on April 04, 2010

Cool app, but I think bad move on the marketing side of things, as there’s bound to be some confusion with the Adobe’s Ideas website:
    Technically it’s called the “Adobe Labs Ideas”, but it seems to be refered to as the Adobe Ideas by most.

• Allen — 4:36 AM on July 11, 2010

Why is this not in the app store in Japan???
      Grrrrr!

• Anushi — 6:26 PM on April 04, 2010

How do u send it as a PDF document? It won’t let me or something the email button is not click able?
    Help!!!

• Paul George — 7:43 PM on April 04, 2010

You probably don’t have an email account set up on your iPad. Since I don’t have an iPad (sniff) I don’t know how you do that. But maybe if you launch the mail app it’ll guide you through it.

• Mark Erickson — 8:36 PM on April 04, 2010

Initially the iPad is not configured for email. I went through the same process, if you go to Adobe Ideas before the email is configured, the Adobe Ideas email button is disabled. Once you go to Mail, set up an account, then the Adobe Ideas email button will let you send. (and, if it doesn’t let us know…)

• Niklas — 2:26 AM on April 05, 2010

Great concept, I like it, I will definitely follow how this app evolves in the near future, although a bit sluggish interface (does not react as quickly to input) compared to other image editing apps. Also, your second screen shot (woman in blue and red) in the App store looks ‘shopped :) because the panel is cut of. Also, some of the buttons feel like they are cramped together with little margin for error.

• Mike Wypaek — 6:23 AM on April 05, 2010

Wow, elements of Illustrator, Photoshop and Kuler? Sounds cool, can’t wait to try it.
    John, you asked about other ideas–something like this for creating roughs that we could add text to, then bring it directly into InDesign. Between Ideas and this tool, it’d make a great mobile companion for the Creative Suite overall.

• Glyn Dewis — 8:56 AM on April 05, 2010

…and this is just the start.
    Very exciting times ahead indeed with the launch of the iPad, CS5 coming our way and lots, lots more…
    Very exciting indeed.
    Thanks for sharing John.
    All the best,
    Glyn

• James — 10:14 AM on April 05, 2010

I like the app, but it is not very UI friendly. There is a lot of space down the left side of the screen, but I have to choose to display either the size tool or the color tool. So if the color display is up, it’s 2 taps before I can change the brush size. If I want to change both the brush size and opacity, it’s 4 taps and 2 different finger drags on the controls.
    Using some of the unused space to allow us to single-tap to change tools would be a big improvement (at least to me!)

• Takakyuki Fukatsu — 10:42 AM on April 05, 2010

Oh, I was just going to make idea sketch book with iPad :-(
    Just quick idea for the app.
    I think 3 taps for just changing Color is bit expensive for iPad UI.
    Tap (hold) and slide (and release) is much smart UI, if you can indicate how it actually works to users.

• Zee — 11:06 AM on April 05, 2010

How about releasing for Windows 7 too or for Android?

• don morris — 12:37 PM on April 05, 2010

This can be an invaluable tool for me. I am a visual journalist. I work for a large metropolitan newspaper and I often go on scene to interview and take visual notes and sketch. I agree with others who would like to see text added to our sketches. I work extensively in illustrator and photoshop. The idea of working in the field with the ipad and an app created by adobe is very exciting. I’d like to see Adobe take the lead in this area.

• Hakaider — 1:05 PM on April 05, 2010

It looks like a nice start! What I’m looking for in an Adobe iPad app is the ability to work on Illustrator files. Simple text and color changes make up 75% of my clients’ revisions. If I could make those changes on an iPad at a coffee shop (without having my MacBook Pro) that would be a big boost to my productivity. I think more natural brushes and varying widths would make this app amazing. I understand that it would be difficult without a pressure sensitive screen or stylus, but maybe implement a slider or wheel at the bottom left of the screen that controls the width or angle of the pen. Just a thought

• finanz — 6:40 PM on April 05, 2010

Great start! I have great expectations.

• Bret — 7:55 PM on April 05, 2010

I think if the ipad where more like a wacom tablet with a stylus available for drawing like a pen this application would be more useful. I am happy to hear it exists, I have not tried yet. Maybe the wacom people and the adobe and apple should get together on this I know it would sell.

• Mark Alan Thomas — 11:36 PM on April 05, 2010

I want Adobe to write apps specifically for the iPad, not for generic “tablets” that just happen to run on the iPad too. Big difference.
    [Relax, Mark; we're on it. --J.]

• Emaar — 2:52 AM on April 06, 2010

If Adobe creates specfically for iPad. Apple won’t be happy about it. because Apple gains its market from its own AppStore and say if Adobe creates apps for iPad only, than Adobe apps will top more than what apple makes. lol and surely apple don’t want to be on Adobe Mercy

• Andy Hullinger — 7:17 AM on April 06, 2010

Nice start, but I need to SAVE back into my photos. I wanted to annotate/edit an image from my photo gallery and then update it in keynote right on my iPad.
    A save feature would be really helpful.

• tom — 10:53 AM on April 06, 2010

Yes! Free vector drawing and erasing :)
    Will Adobe Ideas support File Sharing via iTunes? (check iPad: About File Sharing http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4094)
    And will it support multiple layers with individual opacity settings?
    And will the tools be more accessible in a row?
    But don’t give in to feature creep and overcomplication, please. Simplicity and usability are best.
    Keep up the very good work + many thanks! tom

• Mac Hoe — 11:08 AM on April 06, 2010

I love that fact that it is free, and like tom, I believe that the simplicity of the app is one of its best feature..
    Kudos to Adobe for creating such app..

• Andy — 11:42 AM on April 06, 2010

This app certainly gives me more interest in purchasing an ipad. The stylus as mentioned before is the only missing leg to a complete package for sketches and drawings.
    Eager to try this out and see where it will go. Kudos to Adobe!

• Drew — 11:02 PM on April 06, 2010

I just downloaded the app and am really enjoying it. I have a few suggestions which could help me to really love it:
    – Having some way to wipe/clear the screen of an active idea. Sometimes things just don’t work out and it feels like a lot of steps to back out, hit Delete, select the idea, trash it and start a new one.
    – Can the Organize tab get sized up a bit or have some whitespace added below it?
    – I think the flyout menu looks cool but there seems to be enough empty space on the sidebar to fit all the functions pretty easily if you were using used that flyout menu for each function individually instead of as a selector for your function.
    Again, I really like the app and am looking forward to seeing how it develops. Thanks for releasing it!
    Drew

• Rich — 12:47 PM on April 07, 2010

After making some changes, I couldn’t get the “share” (or whatever it’s called) button to activate – Can I cut-and-paste a drawing into another app (e.g., Pages or Keynote)? Can I save it in some file I can export to Photoshop? The interface is so sparse, it’s catatonic – and there is no help anywhere I can find, on iPad or online. If this is supposed to be “so easy it needs no support” – it missed.

• Casey Kraft — 8:33 AM on April 08, 2010

Was the rooster actually created on an iPad? I find it hard to believe the relatively fine lines and the small dots, like the rooster’s eye, were created with a finger and not a stylus.
    [Yep--I'm told it was done by the wife of lead engineer Paul George. --J.]

• Tom Stohlman — 8:53 AM on April 08, 2010

Agreed, I bought my IPad for precisely this reason. An app which can import either jpgs and pdfs, annotate those imported documents (with sketches and real typed text), and then email/save them as either jpgs or pdfs would be perfect.
    This app is an excellent start. It imports jpgs, allows simple sketching, and emails as pdf.
    The sketching feature could use more brushes, easier color picking, and “layer erase”.
    Thanks for the effort.

• Carol George — 2:37 PM on April 08, 2010

Yep, I drew that rooster with my finger – spent about 3 hours on it. Pinch/Zoom is the secret to fine detail – definitely kicks finger painting up a notch! Carol G.
    [Cool--thanks for the info, Carol. --J.]

• James Fritz — 10:22 AM on April 09, 2010

Do you know if this application was created using the Flash or apples development tools?
    [The latter. The Flash packager stuff has never been positioned as being a great fit for every kind of project. --J.]

• Jack — 12:12 PM on April 09, 2010

Nice app!
    What I would really like is an Adobe pdf reader app

• Charlie — 12:57 PM on April 09, 2010

Just curious — was this built with the now banned CS5 cross-compiler?
    [No. --J.]

• Dave Keyes — 1:06 PM on April 09, 2010

Excellent stuff! Cheers Adobe.
    It’s a big comfort for me to see that Adobe are onto this. A fine looking app to start off and a lot of scope to grow into the perfect companion app for all manner of artists & designers.
    Some great ideas and comments posted on here too.

• codar — 1:28 PM on April 09, 2010

Kudos to Adobe for this app!
    It’s always nice to be reminded that there are lots of clever people at Adobe and Apple who care about great software not about the war that’s waging in the upper ranks…

• Me — 1:50 PM on April 09, 2010

Just email it to yourself and add it to your library from the Mail app.

• David Macy — 3:09 PM on April 09, 2010

The button at the lower left of the sketching screen is for email. If you haven’t set up an email client on your iPad, that button is disabled.
    There is also an Apple screenshot feature that is common to iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch – hold the On/Off button and the Home button together – you’ll see the screen flash and a screenshot will go into your photo library.
    Of the two methods, email is better because it give you a vector PDF instead of a screen res raster.

• Armando Munera — 5:14 PM on July 14, 2011

Dave: I don´t see the button you mention. I downloaded the app after having configured e-mail. IS there something I am missing. Otherwise I agree with the majority on this post. The App is very good and if it continues to develop I am sure it will be a killer.

• Todd Sieling — 3:25 PM on April 09, 2010

It’s a nice app – overall a great effort out of the gate. I do question the narcissistic decision to co-opt the widely recognized gear icon, typically associated with ‘settings’ or ‘tools’ for a useless About screen, and situating that in a prime location (top right corner).

• Adam Bridge — 8:52 PM on April 09, 2010

This is Adobe at its very best: innovative and using it’s core strengths. I’m glad to see it come forward even during the stormy weather that seems to be dominating the relationship between the two firms. I use Adobe and Apple products every day. When my iPad arrives I’ll be downloading Adobe Ideas on day one!

• Jaime Quejada — 7:04 AM on April 10, 2010

Very good start Adobe! As a healthcare professional we have patients fill out a variety of forms created with Acrobat Pro. Creating an iPad app for patients to be able to fill out these forms and for our healthcare workers to be able to annotate these forms would be a killer app. Thanks.

• Paul Reed — 8:29 AM on October 25, 2010

I’m also in health care and you’ve identified a very valuable need. With over 2500 forms created with Adobe Designer, a reader for filling them out on the iPad would be huge. I’ve been watching daily for Adobe to step up. Anything you’ve heard?

• Anne-Marie Concepcion — 11:42 AM on April 10, 2010

Coolest thing ever! Appreciate Carol’s comments … didn’t know you could pinch and zoom etc. Also, took me forever to figure out how to create new kuler-like panels — so neat that it extracts them from a photo; though would be neater to actually use kuler.
    Where’s the help file? (John this post is the first entry when doing a Community Online Help search.)

• David Macy — 1:42 PM on April 10, 2010

Adobe® Ideas for iPhone and iPod Touch is now available in the app store. As of this moment there seems to be a problem with the store not properly displaying the app screenshots, but the app can be downloaded without problem.

• sy — 8:10 PM on April 10, 2010

Why does Adobe always have to introduce its own interface ‘innovations’, ignoring the standard UI conventions of the platform? Is this some sort of an inferiority complex? Why not make a single app that would be a good platform citizen? Everything in Adobe Ideas app looks foreign to the iPhone OS, starting with complete absence of shading and down to text capitalization. It seems the company management just doesn’t understand the practical and aesthetic value of platform consistency. Be different when you absolutely need to, not just for the sake of it.

• sy — 8:14 PM on April 10, 2010

• maartenaerts — 7:14 AM on April 11, 2010

Thanks for all the replies, restored my faith in the real and intelligent Adobe people. Can’t wait to see the iPad in Europe, and of course CS5.

• peedeeohbee — 11:20 AM on April 11, 2010

When will this super-cool app. be available for the iPhone? Can’t wait! :-)

• Oceanbeat — 11:33 AM on April 11, 2010

Great Start, thank you so far…
    Please let us edit paths and simple AI docs in the future…

• peedeeohbee — 12:54 PM on April 11, 2010

Never mind — just downloaded it. Love it! :-D

• Sean Foushee — 9:29 AM on April 13, 2010

One quick suggestion, it would be great if an update to this app included video output via the VGA connector so I can collaborate and instruct during class on the projector.

• Andy — 3:47 PM on April 15, 2010

First up, this is an amazing app! I’m a big fan of iPhone/iPad art apps..I own all of the major ones…but there’s something I really like about Ideas in particular…the stroke smoothing and final smooth look. I’m assuming there’s some kind of vector action happening there. Whatever it is, I can get a really nice clean look from Ideas that I can’t get with other iApps. I’ve been finding myself playing with Ideas more than the other iPad art apps!
    But I would be more than willing to pay for a ‘Pro’ app that added a few more features. Ideas seems a natural fit for a Free and Pro model.
    * I really need is the ability to add another drawing layer or three.
    * The ability to control a layer’s opacity would be cool. I like to put rough papers in the BG of drawings. It would be great to see them through just a bit.
    * The ability to keep another pallete docked on the side. The brush size and the color chooser, or the brush size and opacity, etc. There’s room and I’d love to be able to switch quick. Frankly, the color chooser could always be there…it’s the thing you need the most when drawing.
    * A color dropper to snag colors would be great.
    * The color pallete grabber is really sweet, but I’d like to be able to choose where it’s sampling from.
    I have some more ideas, but they get a bit more ambitious from here. Ideas is awesome and is incredibly close to being my absolute favorite iPad art app. Great work!
    Thanks
    A

• GadgetGirl — 1:05 PM on April 16, 2010

I really like this app. Andy hit my suggestions on the nail, only other thing I wanted to add was in the color picker, If we can have the ability to then move or arrange the themes and click on them to view hex values. Thank you.

• Mark Erickson — 10:47 PM on April 18, 2010

Amazing drawing, and this was on the iPhone, not the iPad, right Carol?

• Jon — 3:22 AM on April 20, 2010

This is a great app. I didn’t appreciate it at first, but the ability to zoom and pan and have the vector scaling really works well. I’d love to see additional layers, text insertion and an orthogonal switch to force straight lines, finally a snap tool to snap to the end / middle of lines. Maybe a circle and ellipse tool too. Even in it’s initial offering, this app would be worth paying for, free it’s a no brainer. Well done!

• Carol George — 8:55 AM on April 21, 2010

That’s right, Mark. The bird is an Adobe Ideas for iPhone creation. Thnx! C

• Tom Paquette — 2:03 PM on April 22, 2010

Agree with kleecs1, ability to add notes through text would be great. Fingers are too fat to make letters small enough to be useful. Wider color gamut would be nice too.

• John Ballinger — 4:48 AM on April 26, 2010

What a great app, and its really is amazing what you can achieve with such a small feature set when the results look great.
    I have installed the 1.0.1 but was totally disappointed because like everyone else its super annoying to have size/colour/opacity under one control. Size and color should always be visible, I spend ages just switching between the two.
    But I really love the App and what a great start. I hope Adobe make this app into something great for the iPad and even sells it.
    Great start and hope you guys are doing more.

• Todd Widseth — 1:51 PM on April 28, 2010

I proof PDF manuals and would like to know if there is an app that allows me to make comments on PDFs using an Itouch

• Daniel — 12:54 PM on May 01, 2010

I love this app! It’s the app I use the most on the ipad. The one thing I would love to see added is the ability to send images directly to the ipad’s built in photo library so that I can then use sketches in other apps without the crazy workarounds I currently have to employ. Thank you for creating a great app and please consider this suggestion.

• Larry Christensen — 3:17 PM on May 03, 2010

I basically like the Adobe Reader Pro for the iPad, being able to read scanned PDF files for my work. But I couldn’t get it to load PDF files that were modified or edited on Adobe Acrobat Pro. The original PDF would transfer and I could read it but not the edits. I’m I missing something?

• Jan van der Zee — 6:15 AM on May 04, 2010

This is really sweet. The ability to shoot photo’s and extract colors from it is just amazing. Painting with a limited pallette and on the go has never been easier. Hope to see some upgrades in the future.
    My suggestion: ability to export the color theme’s as swatches for use in photoshop, where the execution and fine tuning of the idea happens.
    Good stuff!

• Fred Beecher — 10:38 AM on May 07, 2010

Ideas would be SO much better if we could move the extraction circles around when creating color swatches! I’ve created my own swatches externally and want exactly those colors, but no matter how far I separate them I can never get them. This is a little frustrating. : ) But overall, great app!

• Christopher Jack — 6:08 AM on May 08, 2010

I really like this app.
    But I really want a JPG format of the drawing made by it instead of the PDF format.

• michael DeMeo — 12:48 PM on May 12, 2010

Great App!
    Our hope is to use this application in the classroom environment for annotations. Please add VGA out using the iPad’s adapter to your software functionality so that we can use in the classroom as an annotation device.
    PLEASE!

• Kevin — 12:30 PM on May 13, 2010

The only thing this app needs is VGA output. Preferably VGA output that fills the screen versus the weird pillarboxed output that PaperDesk has…

• Michael — 3:57 PM on May 17, 2010

This app is fantastic!
    Next, I would love to see a Dreamweaver iPad application that would allow you to:
    – Upload, download and create new files
    – Edit code and use color, like in Dreamweaver, to differentiate between tags

• JefF Williams — 9:01 PM on May 22, 2010

Larry Christensen as in Charlie Brown?

• Zach Trenholm — 4:15 PM on May 25, 2010

Little late to this applause party but i totally agree —a terrific drawing app. Kudos to Adobe for creating such a refined, sophisticated & stylish UI….
    That said, the real reason I’m posting is to ditto Sean here & say i that i hope the next version (there will be one right? I realize there’s no economic incentive but there could be :-)) supports VGA-out capability. As an on-the-spot caricaturist i’d love to have ability to project what i’m drawing to a larger audience….
    Thanks—Zach

• Zach Trenholm — 4:27 PM on May 25, 2010

I’ve parroted or seconded a few others here on the matter but let me personally state that i do hope VGA-Out capability for Ideas is in the works.
    Thanks….Zach

• huw turner — 7:12 AM on May 26, 2010

Hi
    Fantastic iphone app, Ideas will be the first thing I download when my Ipad arrives next week.
    Biggest comment:
    Its slightly too laborious to go back to a previously used brush/opacity/colour.
    It would be great if favourite settings combinations could be simply saved, and selected via a one click process/eg hold down.
    Look forward to the next release, keep up the good work.
    ( Sydney based architect)

• Jon — 9:47 PM on June 01, 2010

Yes, I am looking for a drawing app that uses the VGA output. If this adobe app had this feature it would be ideal. I manage AV facilities and this would be a fantastic tool for our seminars.

• Son of Witz — 9:46 AM on June 03, 2010

This app is pretty great. Once it dawned on me that the size slider was live my lid flipped. Exactly what I’d imagine might work on the multitouch screen. If that could also work for opacity during a stroke (longshot, I know) it would be phenomenal. Otherwise, separating the main controls into separate buttons would be much preferable. also, a color picker would be great. I’m EAGER to see what Adobe does for using ipad for artwork. I’d love the ability to position one or more photos would be great to build a drawing over a quick collage of reference material.

• Illumine — 5:04 AM on June 05, 2010

Great app! As a few have mentioned above; the ability to select where the colour swatches are sampling from would be awesome…. Please :)

• Marco — 10:09 AM on June 08, 2010

Could you add optional “snap to the end of a line”?
    Since the biggest problem of drawing on the iPad/iPhone is to draw for instance a line in two times.

• Mike Petonic — 6:47 PM on June 08, 2010

This is the “killer app” for me and my iPad. I use it to schetch out ideas, architectures, problem solving approaches, etc. It’s very intuitive. I’ve paid for about 3 other sketching/white-boarding apps, and this one is the best out there.
    Areas of potential improvement:
    * Be able to organize and name Pages (folders?)
    * Snap to end of line, as was mentioned.
    * Shake to undo
    * Select, Cut and Paste rectangular (or polygon) areas.
    Thanks, Adobe!

• David Macy — 8:22 PM on June 08, 2010

Do you mean to start a second line at the end of the first one?

• David Macy — 8:55 AM on June 09, 2010

also, a color picker would be great.
    There is a color picker. Tap on the Size icon to slide out the controls for Opacity and Color. Tap on Color. Now you’ll see the five color swatches, and above those a palette icon. Tap on that to get a full color picker.

• Marco — 6:03 PM on June 09, 2010

exactly :)

• Servo pump — 2:05 AM on June 15, 2010

Hi,
    Why no PDF reader for the IPAD?
    I love using the text to speech feature that is built into the pc version of the PDF reader. Hopefully you will port this technology over to the iPad.
    Thank
    Servo

• splendidriver — 12:52 PM on June 18, 2010

There is one big problem that people outside US like me can’t download it. Please, this look great, and I really hate it when adobe is missing on my ipad for drawing

• Oneil — 5:24 AM on July 02, 2010

Pretty good guys, thanks for putting this out!
    Please please please add these functions for sweet perfection.
    • ability to select and adjust the lines like we can in Illustrator.
    • The ability to select lines individually and delete them.
    • And yes, “Snap to end of line”
    • perhaps a swipe or touble-tap function for undo.
    That’s all I need there. Make it a complete drawing program and put all those other requests above into a separate app.

Thanks guys!

• Mark — 6:39 AM on July 07, 2010

A jpeg or similar export option please =]

• Chandar — 11:32 PM on July 09, 2010

Why is this app being held back from non-US countries? Too long a wait!

• kkpro — 6:56 PM on July 25, 2010

Please add a way to rotate the canvas, but keep it independent of the tool bar.

• Sean Wallace — 2:32 AM on July 28, 2010

I want to second the architect above

This would be a “killer App ”
    For utilities if you could take a PDF ( the most common way to share proposal drawings , drawings to contractors etc ) and annotate , add as built information comments , site measurements etc and then email back a marked up PDF .

Please do this , and then push it to corporate customers as a great way to use PDF in their workflow !!

• Jesmond — 7:26 AM on July 30, 2010

I love this app. Definitely one of my favorites. The only feature it’s missing is layering. Even the ability to add just 3 layers would be enough.

• Nancy — 4:16 AM on July 31, 2010

I love this app. Is there a way to rotate a photo?

• Jan vd Zee — 8:04 AM on July 31, 2010

Is there going to be an update soon?
    Some more suggestions: moleskines, polaroids, even papercraft all have fun communities going on. I miss that for Ideas. An upload to a flickr pool/facebook would be nice. Or the ability to link to blogs and such would make this a true digital notebook-extension.
    Y’know keeping it organized a bit.

• Tak-Seng — 1:34 PM on August 08, 2010

Would LOVE to see Adobe Acrobat for the iPad or an app that allowed me to manage my PDFs on it. I’m a doctoral student working on my dissertation and I’m reading a TON of articles. I prefer to make digital notes and it would be amazing if I could view them on Acrobat on my Mac and also on the iPad. Would really make my work so much better. Additionally, I know a lot of other professionals who would love these features because it would allow them to greatly reduce their paper waste.

• Michael — 6:29 PM on August 15, 2010

Love this app and it’s FREE! It would be perfect for me if each Idea could have multiple sketching layers. Still really cool! Thanks!

• Amanda — 6:06 AM on August 30, 2010

I’m really enjoying this app. After spending a little time with it I’ve really gotten the hang of adding loads of detail. Wish there wasn’t so much involved with changing from brush size to transparency to color. And would really like a way to save as jpg .

• deladriere — 12:31 AM on September 05, 2010

Just arrived here because I need VGA output.
    Any chances to get this implemented ?

• squirrell — 6:26 AM on September 05, 2010

Wonderful app, really enjoying it, but would like some extra layers.

• Ed Glasheen — 5:35 PM on September 06, 2010

Great start. I would like to have ruler, guides, grid, layers and a smudge tool. That would make it perfect for me.

Thanks,

Ed Glasheen

• Al — 10:18 AM on September 10, 2010

Sadly, cute but basically useless for our specific business purposes. Use other Adobe products so checked this out as a possible workflow improvement tool.

Too much of a sketching tool rather than a technical drawing tool.

If it had Pdf import and some simple shapes (circles, squares, etc), then it might be moere worthwhile.

• Seattle Prof — 10:12 PM on September 15, 2010

Hi John,

Is development proceeding on this app? I would love to see VGA out and the ability to annotate any app using Adobe Idea as an overlay, especially for Keynote. Then teachers could use it in class — they write/draw on their slides, save as pdf and upload or email to their students! This would be huge! Add wireless communication to printers and it gets even more amazing. Walk around the class asking questions and writing comments on one’s Keynote slides!

• Tony Kambourakis — 8:04 AM on September 25, 2010

Any chance of you enabling video out? It would be great to draw whilst plugged into a project so others in a meeting room can see what I’m drawing.

I actually am considering using this to quickly draw UML diagrams.

Even better would be to have some software running on my laptop that receives drawing data from this app so I can then screen share to many people over the Internet.

• David Macy — 5:00 PM on September 28, 2010

VGA out has been requested by quite a few users, so we hope to add it in the future. I was surprised when Apple first made the VGA adapter available that it didn’t just work for all apps through OS level support but instead required each app to do some coding and specifically enable it.
      The idea of real-time display of drawing data in an app on your laptop is new to me, but makes sense in the context of sharing a session across the web. Do you think you would want to share only the drawing, or the entire app screen (including toolbar)?

btw, Adobe Ideas now has a brand new blog so you can address comments directly there (though the blog is not nearly as good a read as any day on John’s blog!). http://blogs.adobe.com/adobeideas/

• Alan Bucknam — 8:04 PM on October 15, 2010

When trying to send a more complex image via email the image posted is just a “missing image” icon. No PDF. The received mail attachment isn’t openable.

• Anton — 4:16 PM on October 28, 2010

just wondering if there is an easy way to get the documents created off the iPad in an easy way? After shooting a movie, the iPad proved to be a great tool on Set, but now my assistant has created all these diagrams and I’d like to be able to get them off. Do I have to ask her to email each single file to herself?

• David Macy — 10:04 AM on November 08, 2010

For now you can either email each diagram, or do a screenshot, which will save it to the photo album. We’re working on easier ways to get ideas on and off the iPad, but that’s a bit down the road.

• jake — 10:04 AM on November 04, 2010

Yes, please please please add VGA support! I love this app and want to use it for the class I teach

• david macy — 4:10 PM on November 10, 2010

Where do you teach Jake? VGA output is in the works. Do you use the VGA adapter with any other iPad apps/

• Tor — 12:47 PM on November 06, 2010

I use this app a lot for creating figures for use in physics lectures. What would make it even better would be the ability to select an object and move it around or duplicate it.

• Jeremy Chone — 3:01 PM on November 10, 2010

Yes, great app. I would buy the layer features if it was not limited to 10. Not sure why paying for a feature still limit the feature.

I would be curious to know if it is a business decision or a technical one.

• david macy — 4:07 PM on November 10, 2010

The decision was based on concerns about performance and usability, not business. We have no intention of offering more layers and charging extra for that. Perhaps you should try it out with 10 layers and then come back with feedback if you think it needs more. It would be great to see some of the ideas you’re working on that need more than 10 layers to give us a better idea of the workflow.

• Mona — 3:30 PM on November 17, 2010

I like this app so much, it has got me drawing again which makes me very happy. I may be a bit techincally challenged here, but is there a way to save my sketches to the photo library? I drew a number of ideas that I wanted to develop, but after syncing my iPad with iTunes (grrr) all that was left was the app, my sketches were gone. Do you know how to get them back, or is this an iTunes (grrr) issue? Help, please!

• Mona — 3:32 PM on November 17, 2010

technically (#”#)

• NnpctO — 4:21 PM on November 19, 2010

I don’t want to conduct propagation against company Adobe, but to pass an opinion opinion of products Adobe I consider due.

1. Frequently company Adobe at software updating works the Antivirus and Firewall, and safe and unknown appendices are constantly imposed any not.

2. Almost all products of company Firewall demand updating.

3. Cost of paid products is too high!

• Sergio — 11:52 AM on February 26, 2011

After updating Adobe plug-in Firefox began to work somehow not so. After an exit from the appendix the processor shows loading on 56 %. In what there can be a problem?

• Alex — 2:21 PM on March 29, 2011

I would like to see an app that works ‘with’ adobe illustrator. For example, a quick pressure pad that syncs with what your doing on illustrator. Or something along the lines of doing the tighter basics on your ipad and then being able to take it to your desktop for the big features. I know adobe Ideas has that simple sketch feature but more in depth a few more tighter drawing features maybe taken from CS2 or CS3. Before they got crazy.

• Salih — 2:05 AM on June 26, 2011

VGA out is a must. This would make a great whiteboard application.

• lulu — 8:11 AM on June 29, 2011

I try to email my work and I fill every thing out (on adobe ideas) and when I hit send, I go to my email and it did not work! Am I doing something wrong?

• Borrys Hasian — 2:10 AM on November 23, 2011

Great app, and I wish there’s an Eye Dropper tool in Adobe Ideas.

• yen — 8:00 AM on November 28, 2011

Use Ipad as an input drawing devices, can see the art work directly on illustrator.
    No color picker, cant get previous color. make own color theme and save?

• Gian — 2:59 AM on May 04, 2012

Hi,
    I love this App. Any chance to add a typing tool and the ability to share the file (in native format) so that other people can use my notes and build upon them?
    Thanks for this great app!
    Gian

• Mark Dyer — 6:20 AM on April 25, 2013

The ability to draw STRAIGHT LINES like Autocad’s Sketchbook raster tool would make this app an even better link to illustrator.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)