April 22, 2010

Video: Painting in Photoshop CS5

Digital painter John Derry has been pushing the boundaries of computers & painting for 25 years, and he’s now created a great tour of his favorite painting features in Photoshop CS5. I love seeing how a real artist puts the tools to work.

(Full-screen viewing recommended, naturally.)

Posted by John Nack at 10:30 AM on April 22, 2010

Comments

• lucky0 — 11:00 AM on April 22, 2010

What do you think about this (see URL) and the future of Flash on Mac OS X? Does it help you guys? :)

• Andrew — 11:18 AM on April 22, 2010

Can’t wait to use this, it looks really responsive too. Do you know if painting utilizes GPU or CPU?
    [The brush preview is rendered on the GPU, and I believe the brush physics use the CPU. I’m not sure whether there are other GPU optimizations in the engine. –J.]

• Andrew Phang — 4:52 PM on April 22, 2010

From the video is looks as though the brush cursor finally displays the pen rotation and tilt. Is that correct? That would be awesome!!!

• Scott Valentine — 8:08 PM on April 22, 2010

Andrew – rotation is available with a Wacom Art pen, but I don’t think you get that with the standard pen on the Intuos4.

• Andrew Phang — 2:08 AM on April 23, 2010

If PS CS5’s brush cursor can display the rotation of the Art Pen, that would be a great reason to get them both. ;-)
    So does CS5’s brush cursor reflect the changes in brush dynamics on the Intuos? eg: if Pen Tilt is set to drive brush angle or roundness?

• Sam Fifer — 3:09 AM on April 23, 2010

First off, I am an avid Photoshop (PS) user.
    While painting in PS has come a long way, Painter still has the advantage if you are looking for natural media.
    [I don’t disagree. Painter has spent nearly 20 years building up a very specialized feature set. –J.]

• Daniel Swine — 4:33 AM on April 23, 2010

Looks like I won’t be buying a Corel Painter upgrade again. If this is the begining of the Paint development for Ps then corel must be very worried.
    @ Scott Valentine – Longtime no see buddy & longtime since the PsT days.

• Glyn Dewis — 12:41 AM on April 24, 2010

Now I’m not someone who has up to this point made much use of the ‘brushes’ but I can see that this enhancement in CS5 is gonna interest alot of people and may well get others like me to start playing a bit more too.
    CS5 constantly blows me away! What will you guys think of next???
    All the best to you,
    Glyn

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)