May 21, 2010

64-bit/CS5 news from Alien Skin, Imagenomic

The folks at Imagenomic have released a new 64-bit Mac version of Portraiture for Photoshop CS5:

This new version adds native 64-bit support for running Portraiture from CS5 on Mac OS X (10.5/10.6 – Snow Leopard), and complements Imagenomic Plug-in support for 64-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems, which were released in 2009. This new Portraiture Plug-in update is being provided free of charge to registered users of the Portraiture Plug-in for Photoshop edition, and can be downloaded directly from Imagenomic’s website.

Meanwhile Alien Skin is working on a major update to Exposure, their plug-in for recreating classic film looks digitally. According to their site,

Exposure 3 will be out in late June!… There are some frequently requested technical features in this upgrade, including Lightroom and 64-bit Photoshop CS5 support. The user interface has been completely rewritten and one result is that the preview updates much faster now.

Posted by John Nack at 9:19 AM on May 21, 2010

Comments

• Ken — 4:51 PM on May 21, 2010

John,
    DO NOT READ WHILE ON VACATION,
    But a good read in NYT and small slam at adobehttp://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/technology/personaltech/20basics.html?src=me&ref=general
    Though they clean it up at the end
    Ken in KY

• Ryan — 5:32 PM on May 21, 2010

Not sure where the link is but Imagenomics say’s Mac 64 bit won’t be till June! or wait till further notice.

• Ryan — 5:37 PM on May 21, 2010

my mistake.. yes portraiture is “AWESOME” but still waiting on Noiseware.

• James Conner — 9:47 AM on May 22, 2010

It’s good to see that 64-bit plug-ins are making it to the market. The more this trend continues, the less I’ll have to work some images in CS4 running in Rosetta.
    But there is one third-party plug-in, Reindeer Graphics’ Adaptive Equalization, that I found most useful for bring out texture in closeups of foliage and blossoms, that seems to have been abandoned and for which I’ve found no substitute or work-around. Applied as demonstrated on Reindeer’s website, it was a bit much. But applied lightly, it enhanced local contrast in a most useful, and elegant, manner.
    Reindeer distributed Adaptive Equalization as 16-bit savvy freeware. I think it would make a wonderful addition to Photoshop.

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 1:28 PM on May 22, 2010

The only way to find out is to ping the developer at Raindeer. He can let you know what his plans are for 64-bit.

• James Conner — 7:55 PM on May 24, 2010

Actually, I did contact the developer. No response. In fact, I’m not sure that Reindeer is actively developing its products. Adaptive Equalization is freeware, a filter that demonstrates the developer’s ability, so there’s not much economic incentive to modernize it unless Reindeer also modernizes its flagship applications. That doesn’t seem to be happening (I hope Reindeer will reply to this post and report that its products are being updated), so Adaptive Equalization appears to be abandoned.
    Yet, it’s a useful filter, one that would add to Photoshop a functionality that Photoshop does not now have. Of course, I would settle for a functional equivalent…if one exists.

• Scott Valentine — 3:38 PM on May 25, 2010

I don’t think Chris Russ has touched the plugins since CS came out (possibly before that, even). There are several things you can try, James, including selective sharpening and edge enhancement on channels, local contrast enhancement (google for tutorials), edge detection with a Custom Filter, etc.
    While I don’t have the ability to produce a plugin, I might be able to help you with an action, if you’re interested. Just drop me an email and let’s see what we can come up with.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)