May 18, 2010

Optional plug-ins available for Photoshop CS5

We’ve posted various optional plug-ins for Photoshop CS5 for Mac and Windows:

• Picture Package (ContactSheetII)
  • Extract (Windows only*)
  • Pattern Maker
  • Photomerge UI (for interactive panorama creation)
  • Web Photo Gallery (WebContactSheetII) plus presets
  • Script for Layer Comps to Web Photo Gallery
  • Texture presets for Texturizer
  • TWAIN

Additional file formats:

• Alias
  • Electric Image
  • SGIRGB
  • SoftImage

* Cocoa-related changes mean that Extract doesn’t run on OS X in CS5. Refine Edge in CS5 should now be able to address the image extraction needs for the vast majority of people who previously used Extract.

Posted by John Nack at 9:47 PM on May 18, 2010

Comments

• Gaspy — 10:16 PM on May 18, 2010

I noticed that the JPEG2000 file format is now included in Photoshop – so I’m happy.
    AOfftopic, Bridge still needs some love. What I would love to see is something that integrates in and extends Explorer/Finder, something that would give me the functionality right in the OS, without having to launch Bridge or Mini-Bridge.

• Carsten — 11:21 PM on May 18, 2010

Why is it optional? These plugins should be included.
    [It’s funny how people *looooove* to lecture us about “just cleaning up” Photoshop, reducing “bloat,” getting rid of “all those things that no one uses,” etc… then kick like mules whenever we act to slim things down, move stuff into retirement, etc. Everybody must get stoned… –J.]

• ken rockwell — 2:23 AM on May 19, 2010

pretty stupid idea from adobe not to include the TWAIN driver into photoshop.
    what did you guys think at adobe when you decided to do this? if you think at all?
    [I see you’ve been reading “How To Win Friends and Influence People” (which is less funny/less profane than my original reply). Since you asked, it took extra time to get TWAIN working (due to all the Cocoa/64-bit stuff), and in any event the percentage of people scanning these days is low. –J.]

• Philipp Antoni — 3:33 AM on May 19, 2010

What about the plugin to disable multitouch gestures (rotation)? Will that make a comeback as well?

• Philipp Antoni — 3:38 AM on May 19, 2010

Well, looks like there’s a preference for that now, according to the help. Good to know.

• AppleScript Fan — 5:35 AM on May 19, 2010

Hi,
    When Photoshop CS5 Applescript bug will be fixed ?
    Applescript on CS5 is completely unusable, see this thread !
    Applescript is a majo feature, I’m reverting to CS4 and stopped CS5 deployment.
    this need to be fixed ASAP !

• Rob — 6:05 AM on May 19, 2010

Sounds great – now all I’m missing is Configurator. Any news? :)
    [Very, very soon. –J.]

• Rob — 6:07 AM on May 19, 2010

Ideally it’d be nice just to disable the multi-touch rotation, or at least make it easier to reset when I accidentally set it off again while pinching to zoom.

• Jason Allen — 6:22 AM on May 19, 2010

Is “Photomerge UI” the same as Photomerge (accessed via File > Automate) in CS4?
    If so, I’m curious why this is not a standard feature in CS5. Has something new replaced it?

• Heide — 3:38 PM on January 22, 2013

i use interactive layout in CS3 all the time. now i have CS5 and it does not have it.
      why on earth was it deleted? what is in CS5 in its place to do the same thing? i stitch to images together, making a mirror immage. that is 50% of my work.
      i have Lightroom 4 and can’t install it because i have only windows XP. Adobe won’t take it back.

• Michael Petersheim — 6:30 AM on May 19, 2010

Ken, you don’t build the world’s leading graphic design software suite by being “stupid” and not “think[ing] at all”. As a software developer, I can say there are many factors playing into design decisions that (thankfully) the end user doesn’t need to be concerned about. About this, if you want TWAIN, they’re offering it; if you don’t, what does it matter to you? I recognized your name on this comment because several years ago I read a number of your articles (on your website), and appreciated them. That being said, it’s disappointing to see such a rude post coming from you… rephrasing your comments less harshly would gain you a more ready audience with, well, almost everyone.

• ken rockwell — 6:34 AM on May 19, 2010

and in any event the percentage of people scanning these days is low
    says who?
    any source for thiy claim or just hot air as usual?
    [What’s your problem today, Ken? I’m on vacation with my family as I type this, stealing just a couple of minutes to try to support my readers. I’m not going to take more just now to try to dig up data for you–as my word obviously isn’t good enough. (And no need to reply again in this thread, thanks. There’s enough negativity in the world, so we can safely omit yours.) –J.]

• Michael Petersheim — 6:35 AM on May 19, 2010

Sorry, John, this is kinda off-topic today, but yesterday I left a comment regarding a bundle discount for upgrading both Photoshop and Lightroom; is there such a thing? I know there’s a bundle deal for a new Lightroom purchase and Photoshop upgrade, but I already have an updatable version of each…

• Scott Valentine — 7:27 AM on May 19, 2010

Hi Ken – you are aware that Adobe is a current board member of the TWAIN working group, right? And that the remainder of the board is made up largely of business-oriented developers who are more interested in documents than image scanning?
    As noted, the support is available. If you need it, take a moment longer to download it. I’m betting it took longer for you to comment and reply to this thread than it would have to download what you need.

• ken rockwell — 7:53 AM on May 19, 2010

I decide when and if i reply… not you. [snip]…
    [To paraphrase Ash: “Good… bad… I’m the guy with the gun, and who decides what comments to approve.” Feel free to get your own blog and to piss all over it & your readers. I’m not going to play that game. –J.]

• ken rockwell — 7:58 AM on May 19, 2010

im not that guy.
    you know there are more ken rockwells on this planet as only one.

• Michael Petersheim — 8:04 AM on May 19, 2010

Sorry, Ken, my mistake. That has to be annoying….

• Scott Valentine — 8:22 AM on May 19, 2010

You are also free to go look up the information on your own, Ken.
    There is a forum where you can ask about the cross section of users as well as penetration. You might also consider that much of the extant hardware includes its own data source connections so you can operate quite nicely without going directly into PS.

• Henrik — 9:28 AM on May 19, 2010

Thanks for the info, John. So there’s “Extract” and the other goldies but oldies, in case one should miss them. These commands have just a few features that one might want to use occasionally.
    Do enjoy your holidays and stick to them.

• Treeskier — 10:45 AM on May 19, 2010

Contact Sheets…So did all the re-installs but it requires me to be in 32 bit. It does not say how to open in 32 bit when it by nature now goes directly into 64 bit?

• Scott Valentine — 11:36 AM on May 19, 2010

On Mac, you can go to the application in Finder, opt+click to open Info, and choose Open in 32 Bit.
    I’m not sure on Windows.

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 1:30 PM on May 19, 2010

Jon Lo & Jesper Storm Bache from Adobe are posting solutions to the AppleScript issues on the thread.

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 1:34 PM on May 19, 2010

“Photomerge UI” is the old-style interactive UI (old photomerge technology from CS2 and earlier) for dragging images to align them by hand. It was an option inside the File>Automate>Photomerge… dialog in CS4.

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 2:01 PM on May 19, 2010

On windows, the 32 version is in a seperate x86 directory.

• Treeskier — 3:12 PM on May 19, 2010

I saw that in the Adobe web site but I’ve tried it several ways and time and have not found that as an option. I have the latest Mac and OS

• Matt — 3:34 PM on May 19, 2010

On Windows there should be two entries in the Creative Suite program group, Photoshop & Phtoshop 64bit, at least that’s how it installed for me.

• Herman — 5:52 PM on May 19, 2010

*BIG VIRTUAL HUG* for the “allways overscroll” feature :)
    also, the “DisableDragBoundingBox” is greatly appreciated!
    -how did I *ever* doubt you? :)

• DKC — 6:25 PM on May 19, 2010

I’m hurt that three things I use on an almost daily basis in Photoshop, Extract, Picture Package and Contact Sheet are now officially known as “bloat” in the halls of Adobe. The “substitutes” do not work as well. Please return them to their proper place within the application.

• John Burton — 4:28 AM on May 23, 2010

Many thanks for the TWAIN plug-in, which I use a lot for scanning. It works well with CS5.

• Eunice — 8:54 AM on June 01, 2010

I downloaded the optional plugins for Photoshop CS5 to get TWAIN, but when I tried to install them I got this message: “Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document.” Can you help? I have Windows 7 OS.

• i-z — 9:33 PM on September 19, 2011

I have a problem with trying to use the photomerge interactive layout. I installed the plugin and restarted the photoshop in 32 bit but I still don’t see it. Am I missing something?

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)