May 05, 2010

Video: Creating 3D shapes in Photoshop Extended CS5

Artist Scott Valentine has created a short, interesting demonstration of how to create & style abstract shapes using the new Repoussé feature in Photoshop Extended:

Posted by John Nack at 10:58 AM on May 05, 2010

Comments

• debbi — 3:38 PM on May 05, 2010

Wow
    Now If I could create a DNA pattern out of that I would be a happy camper…any tips?
    Debbi

• Scott Valentine — 6:07 PM on May 05, 2010

Debbi – interesting challenge! Drop me an email and let’s see if we can build it :)

• 3D….. FFS — 3:09 AM on May 06, 2010

PHOTOshop

• Scott Valentine — 6:59 AM on May 06, 2010

So, you don’t see how 3D could be used in photography?
    Here’s the deal: 3D is in Photoshop. As photographers and artists, we can learn to incorporate this new capability and extend the possibilities of our vision and work flow. Or, we can ignore it an hope it goes away. Much like people said about digital SLRs, and now about video in SLRs.
    I’m not saying you need to adopt 3D, just noting that it’s a tool – it’s up to us how we use or ignore it.

• Debbi — 6:14 AM on May 07, 2010

I’m not sure how to contact you, Scott. When I click on your name it takes me to MOGO and won’t let me register?
    Mine is corkie(at)sunset.net
    Debbi

• PECourtejoie — 3:33 AM on May 08, 2010

Debbi, i’d use a lot of twist, and let scale to its default setting.
    Using some rectangles rather than circles could be useful.
    Hope this helps!

• Scott Valentine — 4:00 PM on May 08, 2010

Registration should be fixed, now. Technical difficulties ;)

• Scott Valentine — 7:48 PM on May 11, 2010

Took a stab at the DNA thing, using a single Repoussé model.
    [Very cool, Scott! --J.]

• Scott Valentine — 8:24 PM on May 12, 2010

Egad… I’ve got to leave this stuff alone. But here’s another shot using multiple models. 100% PS.

• SmashingPhotoshop — 6:45 AM on May 16, 2010

Scott I took a look at image 10 that ones really cool

• Andrew Buckle — 2:46 AM on December 14, 2010

A really useful tutorial – really love the 3D features in Photoshop extended

• AnnetteD — 6:23 PM on January 24, 2011

Cool rendition of DNA.

I am beginning to learn the 3D aspects of CS5 extended but am still very much a beginner.

• Joe Clough — 4:27 PM on March 13, 2012

I have a question, I bought Photoshop cs5 and when I go onto it, and creat an object of any sort, ill use “text” as an example, when I type what I want to say, and then go to click on the “3D” menu, I look and it does not appear… Could you help me with this? I youtubed it and ended up finding a video where it said to go into the “file” menu and then “preferences” and then select “3D” but its not there either… I am really confused and slightly annoyed. So please help me!

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)