June 03, 2010

GPS Data panel now available for CS5

We’ve just posted a GPS Data panel (download for Mac, Win) that extends the File Info dialog in CS5 applications (Photoshop, Bridge, Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator, and InDesign). The panel (see screenshot) offers a simple way to see parameters like latitude, longitude, and altitude.

Installation notes:

• On the Mac, make sure you install into the main Library path, not the user-specific one. (Somehow I often stumble on that one.)
  • Please make sure that the package files (“bin” and “manifest.xml”) go into a folder called “gpsData.”
Posted by John Nack at 9:49 PM on June 03, 2010

Comments

• Andy Baker — 4:53 AM on June 04, 2010

Why is the installation not handled by the extension manager? It would be a much nicer experience and you wouldn’t have to give us tips on installing!
    [It would, and maybe we can post a wrapped version later. There was a time factor involved here. –J.]

• Kevin Williams — 6:17 AM on June 04, 2010

I don’t understand where to put this. /Library/gpsData ?

• Henrik — 7:55 AM on June 04, 2010

On Win, the installation worked well as described. But i didn’t find that procedure all that smooth either :)

• Rudy — 8:44 AM on June 04, 2010

Nice to see GPS improvements, but would be nicer to see easier way to set GPS location on a map. Flickr/yahoo has it. Its not hard to integrate maps into apps these days. Or maybe its there already (I’m only getting my CS5 later today)?
    [One could use Flex/Flash Builder to create a map integration. We shipped an SDK sample that would enable what you’re requesting, but I don’t know its location offhand. –J.]

• mike — 4:04 PM on June 04, 2010

don’t you have to have a GPS capable Camera to take advantage of this?

• Stig — 11:12 PM on June 04, 2010

Would be nice if the location was shown on a map in the panel, or the panel at least had direct links to the position on map-services (Google Maps, etc.). The last thing would probably be pretty easy to add?
    Mike: You can do manual geo-tagging of your photos if you don’t have a GPS. Geosetter (http://www.geosetter.de/en/) is an example of a tool you can use for that.

• David — 11:59 PM on June 04, 2010

Am I missing something? Where do I download it from?
    Sorry if this is a really basic question … maybe I’m just blind. I don’t see a link.

• David — 1:21 AM on June 05, 2010

Forget it. I am blind. Not enough coffee, I guess. Please ignore previous post. Now I just need to know where to put the gpsData file (win 7 pro, 64 bit).

• JasonP — 1:34 AM on June 05, 2010

No, you only need a method of retrieving a set of GPS coordinates. There’s numerous ways, (Google Earth/Maps, any GPS device that records a track file, GPS built into the camera, etc.) I’ve been geotagging every photo I take now, whether I do it from a track log from my handheld GPS or after the fact via Google Earth (utilizing Jeffrey Friedl’s Lightroom Geoencoding plugin). Good to see this in Photoshop too!

• Data Entry — 3:01 AM on June 05, 2010

____________
    Nethra

• Allen Braun — 1:17 PM on June 07, 2010

No idea where to put the DL’d files (a “bin” folder and an xml file) on my Mac.
    Somewhere in the Apps / CS5 folder?

• Allen Braun — 1:58 PM on June 07, 2010

Time factor? Since we can’t install it, the time factor hasn’t helped anyone.

• Allen Braun — 10:16 AM on June 08, 2010

Not only does it not work, it blocks all other data panels when looking at image info.
    If the image is not GPS tagged, then all the info is visible.
    If the image _is_ GPS tagged then all info panels are blocked.
    Worst crap ever.
    Worst installation procedure ever.
    What we _____ NEED _____ is a tool in Bridge to tag the photos from GPS data (NMEA or GPX or similar files).
    That is something Adobe SHOULD DO, instead of wasting our time with these little panel apps that DO NOT WORK.

• scott yaeger — 1:48 PM on June 10, 2010

Where should the folder called “gpsData” with “bin” and “manifest.xml” inside be copied to on a Windows 64-bit OS?

• scott yaeger — 1:55 PM on June 10, 2010

sorry, i found the instructions.

• Bob Murphy — 10:41 PM on June 13, 2010

I have tried to install on my Mac w/ CS5. Double clicking on dmg file reveals a folder named “bin” and a file, “manifest.xml” I tried option dragging the dmg to the designated folder in the library, and I tried creating a folder with the name dpsData & dragging the dmg contents. Then restarted PS Bridge. I do not see any panel named gpsData. Where is it?

• Rudy — 6:41 PM on December 16, 2010

I’m actually flabbergasted that Adobe still doesn’t have a map-based way to add GPS coordinates, nor a more convenient way to tag photos with people’s names, integrating with Facebook’s social graph (like Facebook’s great tool). Isn’t Adobe paying attention to the sharing/social revolution that is happening?

• Barry45 — 1:03 PM on December 27, 2010

Works fine for me Mac OS10.6.5/CS5 You do have to put the bin folder and manifest file in a folder as stated above. I agree that a direct link to Google Earth or equivalent would be great and should be there now.

Thanks for making this available

• John Caddell — 8:52 PM on March 22, 2012

Also works fine for Mac OS 10.6.8. I folowwed the instructions provided and it was easy. Thanks.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)