August 25, 2010

Photoshop Express online editor gets upgraded

Sync your images with the cloud; organize your Flickr, Facebook, and other images in one spot; and edit them more easily through the new Photoshop.com.

According to a post from project PM Jordan Davis, highlights of the new release include:

Photoshop Express Editor: Redesigned to be faster and easier to use. As an added bonus, you can now edit files directly from your hard drive (no Photoshop.com account needed).

Photoshop Express Organizer: Now a standalone application that serves as an online hub for all of your media on Photoshop.com. It also gives you easy access to your images on Facebook, Flickr, Photobucket, and Picasa.

Photoshop Express Uploader: A lightweight, installable application that enables two-way syncing between files stored on your computer and those stored online on Photoshop.com.

Check out the site to get started (and to get 2GB of online storage free).

Posted by John Nack at 10:16 AM on August 25, 2010

Comments

• nez — 10:30 AM on August 25, 2010

I think Photoshop is absolutely BEST in 2D editing, painting – whatever. BUT – in case of online applications you guys are far behind pixlr.com
    Their editors are just great and getting better and better. Maybe you should look in that direction for a sec or two ;)

[Did it occur to you that Photoshop.com isn’t trying to be Photoshop.app/.exe? It’s a different editing feature set for a different audience. –J.]

• jcool — 11:32 AM on August 25, 2010

Wow, pixlr.com is pretty amazing.

• imajez — 5:29 PM on August 25, 2010

Amazing in how similar to Photoshop it is, that’s for sure.

• imajez — 5:39 PM on August 25, 2010

Pixlr Express is very impressive for a basic editor, particularly in speed.

• nez — 12:14 PM on August 25, 2010

How is it different really? I mean isn’t that about free photo editor online with option to upload them to some storage space? I guess you haven’t seen express version of pixlr editor

which is more or less what photoshop.com offers, just faster…
      Like I said – I am HUGE fan of Photoshop and Adobe but on this field you are not in the first league… You cant be best at everything man ;)

• Huntley Paton — 11:59 AM on August 25, 2010

Not being familiar with Photoshop.com, how is that different or better than uploading photos straight out of Lightroom 3 to Flickr of Facebook?

Is it an either/or thing, or are there benefits to having both? If so, what are they?

• Todd Shirley — 2:21 PM on August 25, 2010

Hmmm… kind of a fail.

I have a photoshop.com account so I went to check out the new features. It had no problem connecting to my Flickr account but it did take a good 30 seconds to display all my Flickr pictures. Also connected to Facebook but it couldn’t find ANY pictures to display. Said I had zero Facebook pictures!

So I think maybe I need to close the library screen and re-open it to refresh. When I come back, I am no longer connected to my Flickr or Facebook accounts! I have to Re-authorize EVERYTIME I open my library? Really? And then it takes the full 30 seconds to access my Flickr pictures and STILL can’t access my Facebook pictures?

Needs a little more testing.

• David Riecks — 5:35 PM on August 25, 2010

John:

One thing I find completely unacceptable is that Photoshop.com strips your images of all embedded photo metadata! That includes IPTC, XMP (which Adobe developed), Exif, ICC, etc. While I realize (and understand) that there may be no way to add metadata with this online version, not preserving existing embedded metadata is a distinct break with the desktop versions of Photoshop, Bridge and Lightroom (as all of those do an excellent job of retaining image metadata).

[Thanks for the heads-up, David. Let me see what I can find out. Stripping metadata is indeed very poor form. –J.]

In response to Huntley, if you upload images to Flickr from Lightroom, then a number of your metadata fields appear on the image page (Description/captions, keywords, and copyright notice for sure). Flickr preserves all metadata in the original image and most of the major fields in any resampled images. View the preliminary survey results at http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/socialmedia/ if you want the full details. For those that wonder why it’s important to preserve metadata, your question are answered in the first couple of paragraphs on that page.

BTW, for those interested Pixlr.com doesn’t preserve embedded metadata either.

If you are uploading images from a mobile phone that may not have any info, and you don’t mind your image becoming a potential “orphan work” this service might prove of some use.

Personally, I will giving it a wide berth until these issues are corrected.

David

• Peter Marquis-Kyle — 7:32 PM on August 25, 2010

Thanks to David Riecks for letting me know that photoshop.com strips metadata. I know not to waste time looking any further.

[I’m told that the metadata is preserved in the images you upload, but it’s not included in images you export out. The team is working on it. –J.]

• scott graham — 6:33 AM on August 26, 2010

Actually the ability to strip metadata would be wonderful, and it has been long requested. Is this the only way, somewhat obscure when in PS, or have I missed something again.

Thanks

• scott graham — 4:37 PM on August 26, 2010

got my answer via a script from a generous person. Someone else pointed out that maybe I was not thinking very hard about the need, and they may well be right. Still, for some uses…

• Bonnie Schwartz — 7:39 PM on September 07, 2010

Just downloaded photoshop express to my Motorola Android. It seems great, however, is there no way to upload photos directly to Flickr? I see you can upload to facebook, Photoshop.com and TwitPic. It would be awesome if there was a way after editing photo to upload to flickr. Any plans for that or a workaround?
    Thanks

• Sumner Paine — 6:10 PM on September 08, 2010

Hi Bonnie,
      I’m the product manager for the Photoshop Express mobile apps. Glad you like the app, and thanks for the feedback! Flickr support is in the plans for a future release, as many people ask for it. We’re looking at ways to provide additional upload destinations as options, as well.

If you have other ideas for things you’d like to see in the app, drop by our discussion forum:

Sumner Paine
      Product Manager

• Dale — 8:26 PM on September 05, 2011

Is there a way to purchase more than 2gb of storage space? If so, for how much?

[If you’re in the US, you can go to photoshop.com, sign in, and go to me > my account. From there you can upgrade storage. If you’re outside the US, 2GB is limit. –J.]

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)