September 23, 2010

TypeDNA adds a clever fonts panel to CS5 apps

The Plugged-In panel from TypeDNA adds font-browsing/selecting power to Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign CS5:

The easy-to-use interface provides several unique tools (Similar Fonts, Font Harmony, Attribute Filters and SmartChoice) . Each tool uses sophisticated character analysis and can be used independently or combined for extremely powerful browsing and font selection. Once a font is chosen, the plug-in sends your choices direct to the document.

Check it out:

Because the panel uses Flash, you can test drive it right on their site.

Posted by John Nack at 8:45 AM on September 23, 2010

Comments

• Ben — 12:00 PM on September 23, 2010

So when will the lovely Adobe Glyph palette (a la Illustrator and InDesign) show up in Photoshop?

• David — 2:38 PM on September 23, 2010

Ditto the need for a Glyph palette

[I know; I hear you, guys. And I know it’s sort of unbecoming to work for a huge company & to cry poverty about anything. Having said that, we’ve had our hands full with platform transitions over the last couple of cycles. With regard to type, Web & graphic designers in particular have made it clear that type styles & higher fidelity rendering are a very high priority–higher, I think, than a Glyphs panel. I’d love to see everything get done at once, but we’ve racked up a bit of a backlog while dealing with Cocoa, 64-bit, etc. Anyway, we shall see. –J.]

• imajez — 2:44 AM on September 24, 2010

Looks like a very good add-on, but costs about as much as essentials like PathFinder, ChronoSync and VMWare Fusion combined, so seems poor value in comparison.

• Thomas — 4:04 AM on September 24, 2010

I’m nt about to tease you John, but what about the fact that Photoshop and Illustrator (two most common apps regarding to typo work) never had any clever type handling since many years BEFORE talking of new platforms and app transitions.

Sounds a bit like a cheap excuse to me.

Type DNA:
    Full Commercial Licenses $149

WTF?

• Ryan — 6:47 AM on December 21, 2010

Looks great to me. I have been looking for a good font management solution that doesn’t break the bank. It was hard after the Linotype font manager went paid. The Pro version is $80. I couldn’t see paying that for the ability to auto-activate and preview fonts. This actually helps find similar fonts and suggests harmonies that would look good with that font. It is 1/3 of the price. It works directly inside the CS5 programs. Sweet… or should I say SUITE!

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)