November 08, 2010

Adobe Ideas adds iOS4 support, layers, more

I’m really pleased to say that the Adobe Ideas team has released version 1.1, offering a range of free enhancements plus the app’s first optional paid feature.

Free features:

• Support for iPhone 4 retina display
  • Support for iOS4 Multi-tasking
  • Support for Redo
  • Available in French, German and Japanese
  • Sketches save much faster, avoiding loss of data when you close the app or you need to answer a phone call.
  • Save drawing to “saved photos” album on iPad and iPhone (no longer a need to create a screenshot)

In-app purchase (optional):

• Layers: Available for in-app purchase. Create up to 10 drawing layers plus a photo layer for each sketch; control order and opacity for each layer.

Here’s a quick (sub-2-minute) demo:

You might also be interested in the Ideas Facebook pageFlickr Gallery, and team blog.  Congrats, guys!

Posted by John Nack at 1:35 PM on November 08, 2010

Comments

• Eduardo Moura — 3:47 PM on November 08, 2010

Seems very nice but, as I haven’t tried an iPad myself, I’m not sold on that “draw with your fingers” concept yet. Anyway, congratulations to the dev team for the great work.

• markus — 4:33 PM on November 08, 2010

ok, nice job done. but why can’t I just update the original app? 2 apps online? mmhh

[Ideas PM David Macy replies:

Here’s the scoop:
    When we built the 1.0 version, we made separate apps for iPhone and iPad. We probably should not have done that, but that’s another story.
    Version 1.1 is a Universal App, meaning that it can run on iPhone or iPad (and iPod Touch btw). We couldn’t provide it as an update to both of the existing versions, so we had to choose one. We decided to make 1.1 as an update to the 1.0 iPad version and that’s why it doesn’t show as an update on your iPhone.

So, what about all of your old content? For now, keep it. We’re working on another update that will allow you to migrate the content from the old 1.0 iPhone app into the new app.

All a bit messy, but hopefully that makes sense!

–J.]

• Todd — 7:50 PM on November 08, 2010

Any plans for Ideas on Android?

• AaronM — 8:49 PM on November 08, 2010

Any chance of a text tool of some sort? I like the ability to draw with the finger, but my finger-handwriting is worse than the regular mess, and HUGE….

A

• Franco — 9:57 PM on November 08, 2010

Can you please check your posts in your own browser lab. All your recent Adobe TV videos don’t work in IE8. Pretty embarrassing really considering the source.

[Thanks for the heads-up; I’ll investigate. –J.]

• mankis — 4:45 AM on November 09, 2010

I haven’t tried iPad yet. I wonder is it possible or will it be possible tu calculate size of a finger (part of a finger) that is touching screen. Than we will be able to have brush size depending on pressure of a finger.

• witz — 11:20 AM on November 09, 2010

This is SUCH a welcome update.
    The UI improvement is huge, and the layers are very welcome. I think this in-App upgrade is a cool model.

• George Wedding — 12:15 PM on November 09, 2010

Ahem. A video demo for an iOS 4 App that can’t be viewed on any iOS 4 device because it is presented using Flash?

Really?

John, in this instance, I think Adobe is being foolishly stubborn. This makes no sense. Given Adobe’s core market of iOS-using graphics pro’s, shouldn’t you be posting Flash AND .html5 versions of videos for this blog?

[Of course, and it has nothing to do with stubbornness, just time and resources. Support is coming. –J.]

• Patrick — 1:44 PM on November 09, 2010

Purchase layers? really you guys are not serious. So optional means ability to buy another app which has layers from the on set like Sketchbook Pro. Sad really, ideas had some promise, now it seems like another Adobe money grab.

[Really? If companies don’t make money doing this, they won’t keep doing it. –J.]

• Patrick — 10:24 AM on November 30, 2010

Wow J this is late but time for me to eat crow! The update is applied and am pleased with how far its come and the direction its going. The color picker change is the biggest love for me. Love the blog , accept my humbled apologies enjoy your holidays.

• melgross — 9:25 AM on November 10, 2010

While I’ve got 1.0 and have used it for some things, I hate to admit that I didn’t quite get much out of that video.

And, hey, you KNOW what we’re really interested in. Can you please keep us posted more often on that?

• Tim — 9:07 AM on November 11, 2010

The app is off to a good start. As an illustrator I could find a use for the drawing feature on the go … once I buy an iPod Touch “pen” because right now my finger gets in the way of seeing what I’m drawing.

I always appreciate how Adobe makes speed a priority. Use of vector drawing is a great idea.

The color theme picker from the camera is a great idea. Actually, it’s a nice “start” …BUT something is missing. I now have these great Kuler type color themes saved on my iPod Touch and no export function like you have for the images.

Could you include a way to export as a Kuler theme to my computer?

• Tim — 9:12 AM on November 11, 2010

Forgot one other small feature suggestion.
    For the image screen, could you include a double tap to “fit to screen”? That would greatly simplify and speed up jumping back and forth between detail work and zooming out to preview the entire image on screen.

• Dave Story — 11:33 PM on November 11, 2010

Great demo video…well done and I loved the use of pan and zoom to show various parts of the canvas.

Congrats, guys! I’ll be buying this as soon as I can get my iPad back from my boys. :)

Dave

• Stephen cline — 8:42 PM on November 14, 2010

Will shapes and a fill function for shapes be added to adobe ideas?
    Thanks
    Stephen

• Rod — 1:17 PM on November 17, 2010

Does anyone know the pixel dimensions of Adobe Ideas’ virtual canvas?

[Engineer Paul George replies, “‘Pixel’ dimensions aren’t really all that meaningful because Ideas is a vector app. You can in zoom in on the canvas by a factor of up to 64. At that point the canvas is 64 times larger in pixel dimensions but there’s no change in the quality of what you draw. The retina display makes the question even more complicated since it doubles the number of pixels at the any given zoom factor. However, if you work at the normal zoom factor then the canvas is a square that is 3 times the largest screen dimension. So in pixel terms you could say that the canvas is 3072 x 3072 on iPad and 1440 x 1440 on iPhone/iTouch 3. The iPad display is 132 ppi and the iPhone 163 ppi so In physical terms that’s 23” x 23” and 8.8” x 8.8” respectively.” –J.]

• Jeremy Chone — 6:12 PM on December 03, 2010

Does anymore know if we can move layers around (to position them relative to each other)? Or what we draw cannot be moved?

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)