November 29, 2010

Sneak peeks: New Adobe digital imaging tech

At Adobe MAX last month, digital imaging researcher Sylvain Paris showed off some tech he & colleagues are cooking up in Adobe’s Boston office. Here he touches on color/tone matching between photos; more sophisticated auto-correction of color and tone (based on analyzing thousands of adjustments made by pro photographers); and image de-blurring:

Lots of other really interesting MAX sneaks are collected here.

Posted by John Nack at 8:13 AM on November 29, 2010

Comments

• Pedro Estarque — 11:53 AM on November 29, 2010

At last we get the “Make My Images Look Like Ansel’s” button! :)

That de-blurring is a must have. Post-shot image stabilization!
    Does it require a camera with an accelerometer though? My phone has one built-in but none of my DSLRs do. Are we going to be able to dial in the angle and strength as well (Smart sharpen style, only smarter) or does it require precise data to work?

• Doug Nelson — 3:57 AM on November 30, 2010

Deblur remains the holy grail, but I could have some serious fun with that tone-matching.

• jock — 4:09 AM on November 30, 2010

will this be in PS or LR?

• dave — 8:03 AM on November 30, 2010

Looks great! So, when can we expect to see these marvels of imaging technology? CS5 was came out this year, so the earliest would be late 2012? Two years! Now, I’m sad. :(

• ??? — 8:52 AM on November 30, 2010

product cycles are 18 month.. not?

• Mark — 3:02 AM on December 01, 2010

deblur deblur deblur !

• Gerald Jones — 10:31 AM on December 01, 2010

Can you provide a reference to the mathematics behind the tone mapping? Perhaps a specific academic paper.

[For the Ansel Adams filter, here’s a paper, a video, and more examples. For the deblurring algorithm, here’s more info. What Sylvain showed is described in Chapter 2. –J.]

• Nicolas — 3:19 PM on January 07, 2011

I want these tools in Photoshop CS6 !!

• Tony Braime — 12:33 AM on June 01, 2011

Very welcome, but these tools look like me-too versions of Topaz Adjust and Topaz Infocus

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)