January 04, 2011

Eye-Fi enables direct camera-to-iPad transfer

Ah, I’ve been waiting for this one for some time: Eye-Fi is enabling direct photo transfer from cameras to iPads–something I’ve heard photographers request over and over again.  Now, if only I could get a WiFi-enabled card that would work in my 5D. (Eye-Fi strongly discourages the use of an SD-to-CF adapter.) [Via Sean Parent]

Posted by John Nack at 2:37 PM on January 04, 2011

Comments

• Hopper Stone — 3:21 PM on January 04, 2011

A buddy of mine is a sports photographer in Finland and serious gearhead. Here’s a more in depth post about that sort of thing:

Not great if you’re shooting RAW, but terrific is you need to shoot RAW+JPG and use the RAWs either for a quick edit on the fly or for immediate servicing.

• Glenn Fleishman — 9:15 PM on January 04, 2011

I’m a multi-year fan of (and reviewer of) Eye-Fi products, and I’m still not sure how they are pulling this off. I suspect the iPad (or mobile) app enables itself as a WebDAV server, but I wonder if it can work in the background using, say, background location as a tool to remain active. Looking forward to trying it out.

• Glyn Dewis — 10:59 PM on January 04, 2011

Definitely something I’d be interested in knowing more about; trouble is at the moment I’m in the same position as you Jon with the SD-CF adaptor issue.

Still…it’s all very encouraging.

Cheers,
    Glyn

• Wim Avontuur — 10:22 AM on January 05, 2011

which leads me to question “why doesn’t anybody make a CF card with WiFi”. Can’t be much more difficult and there must be a market…

• gary — 10:12 PM on January 05, 2011

I shoot with a Nikon d300s, raws to the cf card and jpg to the eye-fi pro card. I have a jail-broken iphone running a wifi hotspot that my ipad is logged on to. It takes about a min for the jpg to go from the camera to the iPad. Works great, but you do need to jail-break the iphone. I’m sure you could also jail-break the iPad and just use it to create an wifi hotspot.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)