February 02, 2011

Adobe TV begins community translation

The Adobe TV team has announced the Community Translation project, designed to make training content available to more people in their native languages.  According to the team:

• Anyone with fluency in English and at least one other language can apply to be a translator.
  • Participants in the program use a simple, intuitive interface provided by our partner DotSUB to translate the closed-captioning titles line-by-line.
  • Once approved by a reviewer, the translation becomes available as a closed-captioning track on the video, and also appears as a searchable, interactive transcript alongside the video.

There have already been 154 translations completed, in 25 different languages.  Here’s a list of translated videos.

Posted by John Nack at 12:10 PM on February 02, 2011

Comments

• Jim Poor — 3:22 PM on February 02, 2011

Wow, as photographers, we fight hard against the expectation that we should work for free, and now this?

• Phil Brown — 1:48 AM on February 03, 2011

WTF? Seriously, WTF?

• PECourtejoie — 5:23 AM on February 04, 2011

Jim,
      Should the internet be devoid of any free tutorials and tips?

I just translated my first video, if it helps even only one person, I’d be glad! I am aware that it is crowdsourcing, but so is collaborating to enhance the help files, or helping others in many forums, what I’ve been doing for more than 10 years.

Unfortunately, John, I’m afraid that hordes of pitchfork-bearing denizens will gather and demand that the higher margins made thanks for the more expensive prices in Europe for software should be used to pay translators.

• JE Santos — 2:42 AM on February 03, 2011

I live in Spain, and Spanish is my native tongue, and though I understand quite well English, I see a real benefit in having these video materials available for a lot of people who cannot.

Of course, it would be great if Adobe could pay professional translators and narrators, but let’s be realistic, it’s for a relatively small market (and a lot of professionals abroad speak English) and maybe the ROI it’s not that great.

This is better than nothing. I could never address people to these videos (I train in Adobe tools), because they weren’t available in Spanish. Since CS3 the Extras DVD lacked of translated training videos (which we’re a great tool for beginners), and that was a shame.

I have one complain though: since Adobe Media Player has been “put out of business”, there’s no easy way to download them and watch them offline, which would be really interesting for several purposes. Please, Adobe, ¿can you at least make them available for offline viewing? It would serve best for promoting and training in your products, and it can do no harm.

• Bob Donlon — 10:26 PM on February 11, 2011

Community Translation on Adobe TV is a supplement to (and not a replacement of) the professional translation we already do. For more detail please read my post from today at http://blogs.adobe.com/bobddv/2011/02/adobe-tv-community-translation-and-professional-translators.html

• Prevod Engleskog — 9:14 AM on March 01, 2011

I’ve just checked Croatian videos and they are quite good done. Very nice Adobe

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)