February 24, 2011

Behind the scenes with a foley artist

Just as I was graduating from college & researching a design career, I found myself at the Chicago studio of JoBe Cerny, who’s (quietly) known at the voice of the Pillsbury Doughboy & as the silent Cheer detergent pitchman from the 80′s. I found his foley (sound effects) setup fascinating. I similarly enjoyed this glimpse into the world of foley pro Gary Hecker:

SoundWorks Collection: Gary Hecker – Veteran Foley Artist from Michael Coleman on Vimeo.

[Via]

Posted by John Nack at 9:44 AM on February 24, 2011

Comments

• Mark — 10:02 AM on February 24, 2011

Cool stuff! With the “stars” and scripts in front of the camera these days, I almost always enjoy making-of things on DVDs more than the so called “feature” presentations.

(p.s. SAM Animation has two audio tracks and it’s fun to play with this stuff yourself, adding odd or fun sounds that fit, or don’t fit, with the real audio.)

• Trent — 11:43 AM on February 24, 2011

A friend just emailed me this Sapporo commercial and I thought, while watching it, that this is in John Nack’s wheelhouse.

• fr — 12:50 AM on February 25, 2011

Very nice pick John ! Really good work. It reminds of this, and i don’t know if you’ll understand everything, but it’s about horse riding, home partying, forest fire, nuclear explosion and beast screaming

• PECourtejoie — 2:09 AM on February 25, 2011

Thanks, John! for I always wondered what Foley was… I never had the impulse to search its meaning when I watch the credits of a movie…

I love how they use styrofoam to fake walking on snow…

• Nathan Sego — 9:51 AM on February 25, 2011

Awesome. You go Gary. I enjoy watching peoples success in what they love doing.

~Nathan~

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)