May 08, 2011

64-bit DNG Codec & other updates

If you’re a Windows 7 user, you can now grab a preview version of the DNG Codec, in both 32- and 64-bit versions.  The codec lets you browse DNG files in Windows Explorer and Photo Gallery.

In other news, techie photographers can grab beta 3 of the Adobe Lens Profile Creator and beta 3 of the DNG Profile Editor. [Via]

Posted by John Nack at 9:20 AM on May 08, 2011

Comments

• Laurent — 11:10 AM on May 08, 2011

Wow, excellent, that should be useful. Do you know if something equivalent exists for Photoshop files? (and in a lesser mesure Illustrator)

• John Hoffman — 11:54 AM on May 08, 2011

I just downloaded the codec. It works perfectly. The new codec makes using the DNG format a more attractive choice. (I am using Windows 7 x64.)

• Armand — 12:07 PM on May 08, 2011

The x64 DNG codec is certainly good news but I’d really love Adobe to provide previews for PSD & AI/EPS files too on Windows. John, I know you’re a Mac user, otherwise you’d be lobbying for this… It used to be available in CS2, btw.

I know there are some 3rd party codecs (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack) for this but I’d prefer a nice, official and well-integrated way.

And since you like “radical” ideas, my idea of the “perfect” Bridge is something that integrates seamlessly in Windows Explorer / Mac Finder rather than something that sits on top of it.

• Josh Gordon — 8:22 AM on May 09, 2011

Totally agree with @Armand. And to put the full list here, it would be ideal to have codecs for:
      – PSD & PSB
      – AI & EPS
      – INDD
      – PDF (thumbnails don’t currently work on x64)

• Claes Norin — 10:33 AM on May 09, 2011

I must recommed Mystic Thumbs which you can find here: http://mysticcoder.net/mysticthumbs.html

It supports EPS, AI, PSD and many others. They just implented a plugin function so that 3dparty plugins for other formats is doable.

I am using it at home and at work with great success.

• Axel — 11:53 AM on May 10, 2011

As mentionned above the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack does 64-bit PSD, DNG, all RAWs and more, plus PDF, INDD, EPS and AI thumbnails (from XMP metadata), and works on *all* Windows platforms from XP SP3 to Vista, Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 and beyond.

We do “perfect integration” with Windows by supporting Explorer thumbnails and ultra-fast previews, Photo Gallery, Media Center 7 and Media Player 12 in a professionally supported package:

• Colonna de leca — 12:24 PM on July 19, 2013

Hello,
    Why can’t we get PSD Codec for Win7 64 Bits from you?
    I started with Photoshop 3 and continued with all the other versions until the last one:CS6, a real good tool!!
    Why can’t we get PSD Codec for Win7 64 Bits from you?
    Best regards,
    Christian Colonna de Leca

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)