July 28, 2011

Using an Android tablet for creative work? Let’s talk.

If you use an Android tablet and use it (or would like to use it) for creative imaging, photography, etc., please drop me a line. We can’t let the iPad kids have all the fun. :-)

Posted by John Nack at 4:11 PM on July 28, 2011

Comments

• Bill — 4:59 PM on July 28, 2011

Did you see the upload/download speed of the LTE variant of Samsung’s Galaxy Tab? I never really wanted a tablet, but that could be a great in-the-field photo processing machine!

–Bill

• Jon Fuller — 5:01 PM on July 28, 2011

It’s about time. I was beginning to think Adobe and Apple were going to tie the knot (in NY state now).

• Schugerg — 5:04 PM on July 28, 2011

When illustrating, Pressure Sensitivity is a must for me, still using TabletPCs despite hating Windows. I switch as soon as there are good Pens for the iPad or Android Pads that measure the pressure.

• Edward Caruso — 7:21 PM on July 28, 2011

Adobe Ideas for Gingerbread (phone) please.
    I used it on my iphone but you couldn’t pay me to go back to that after using Android.

• Dragos — 1:11 AM on July 29, 2011

It was about time. I was wondering why after all the love declarations of the recent past, Adobe seems to be doing nothing on the Android front but puts out a lot of stuff for the iDevices.
    The soon to be released Thinkpad tablet from Lenovo will have a pressure sensitive pen. Promising.

• Claudius Coenen — 4:29 AM on July 29, 2011

Hooray :-D

• melgross — 7:10 AM on July 29, 2011

I haven’t seen a comment here from someone using an Android tablet, just complaints.

If you look for photo apps for Android tablets, you won’t find anything useful, so why would people be using one?

• Dave Jameson — 8:09 AM on July 29, 2011

How would one use an Android tablet when all the apps on it are absolute crap?

PS: Good luck finding Android tab owners… they’re rarer than spotted owls I hear.

• anon — 1:02 PM on July 29, 2011

@Dave: You must’ve missed the fact that Android now accounts for almost one in every three tablets sold:

…and Android’s share of the tablet market is soaring, increasing over tenfold in just one year.

• Rob R — 1:33 PM on July 29, 2011

Tablets shipped is not the same as tablets sold. Given the waiting time earlier this year for iPads, there is little doubt ALL of them are selling. I know only one person with an Android tablet and he just complained about it when he looked at my iPad 2. I’ve never seen one “in the field” and all my clients who use a tablet use an iPad.

• melgross — 8:33 AM on July 30, 2011

I’m willng to bet that it’s not much over 10%, and that growth is stalled. Perhaps really cheap, not very useful Chinese tablets are selling, but do they really count as they can’t do much?

• Jeff Brown — 9:17 AM on July 29, 2011

I am using Galaxy 10.1 with Eye-Fi and Snaptastic for basic review/edits/selections to jpgs. Also exploring Dropbox to get images to office PC and Lightroom via remote (Logmein)to import and tag selected RAW images. It is “Kludgy” and unreliable.

At present a netbook with LR is a far better solution.

• melgross — 9:22 AM on July 29, 2011

Try an iPad, you’d be shocked at how many pro apps are available, and at how well it all works.

• Jeff Brown — 1:03 PM on July 29, 2011

I agree Photosmith on an iPad seems to be an outstanding start, however, other needs and perhaps inertia, have me tied to the Google/PC world.

• DiaAazul — 12:21 AM on July 31, 2011

That’s strange, I have a completely different outlook on Apple’s IOS on both iPhone and iPad. Mostly the Apps are over-priced and under-featured. There is no common storage between apps (each app has it’s own storage system). My iPad crashes probably once every 2-3 days. There is no background processing capability, so no automated updates overnight for newspapers.

I have a long list of features that iOs lacks. In the way that OS X Lion is just catching up with Windows 7 for core features (rather than eye candy), iOs is still lacking in usable features compared with Android. Apple is good at marketing, but make sure you understand what you are buying there may be better options available.

• Rich Morey — 11:44 AM on July 29, 2011

I just bought an Acer Iconia tablet and so far LOVE it. I bought it for fun, of course, but also to start building Flex apps for Android.

• karl — 1:16 PM on July 31, 2011

I’m really surprised to see the name “Android” in your blog, written by you. Hopefully Adobe will support this :)

• karl — 1:16 PM on July 31, 2011

(… and hopefully Adobe will bring Creative Suite for Linux, btw!)

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)