July 04, 2011

Video: “Is Tropical: The Greeks”

I’ve gone back and forth on whether to post this one. Even cartoon violence, when paired with children, can be very disturbing. On the other hand, having passed countless childhood hours with friends pretend-shooting each other, I think there’s something interesting in this video’s take on how kids make sense of the images they encounter. I leave the decision of whether to watch up to you.

[Via Steve Guilhamet]

Posted by John Nack at 8:38 AM on July 04, 2011

Comments

• Doug Nelson — 9:37 AM on July 04, 2011

In my day it was cowboys and indians, but that’s exactly how we felt when playing. I had a big grin on my face from the beginning of the video, and laughed out loud a couple of times (teddybear, intestines, grandma).

• Rudy — 7:59 AM on July 05, 2011

But we took chest shots and fiend dramatic fall to the ground and die scenes, rather then glorifying brain-splattering and buying drugs. Ick, unworthy of being linked, IMHO.

• kirk nelson — 10:33 AM on July 05, 2011

uhg, I feel kinda ill now.

we had imaginary battles too, but never imagined 20 foot spouts of blood and brain matter. Or a hundred rounds to face at point blank range.

More like slow-mo falls, mid air somersault kicks, and bullet-time style dodges. Oh, and hadokens. endless, all powerful, hadokens.

and a lot less body fluids.

maybe I’m just old and pointless now tho…

• Mike — 11:00 AM on July 05, 2011

I would love to leave a comment but I’m not sure what to say. I guess it’s very funny to an adult but I would never let my kids watch it. Very creative yet so disturbing. I better watch it a few more times just to make sure.

Mike

• John Nack — 12:16 PM on July 05, 2011

Oh yes–hadoken FTW!! :-) That always brings back memories of the video arcade at Godfather’s Pizza in Dubuque, IA.

Yeah, I hear you about the level of violence depicted. When I got to college I was shocked that a classmate let her little brother watch Reservoir Dogs with her (a movie that sickened me at the time, and probably still). I wonder what level of fantasy is common to kids exposed to a steady diet of such images. And now of course I sound old, too.

(I’m reduced to replying this way as the blog server is undergoing maintenance until next Monday.)

J.

• Yvonne — 12:57 AM on July 06, 2011

Because I’m a woman, I’ve never played this kind of games :)

The first thought was very creative and well done for visualisation the imaginations of playing kids but after a few shots I had a creepy feeling… if this is how kids nowadays sees their games we only can hope they never change it into reality :)

• Joe — 1:32 PM on July 06, 2011

Yea, that was disturbing. I think I am getting to old!

Joe

• jeansebc — 9:04 AM on July 07, 2011

I could not get even half of this video, too hard for me now, my city has been to many times victim of these innocents students mass blood killing.

I enjoy very much all other stuff though, thanks a lot

• Pxlfxr — 4:27 PM on July 07, 2011

Yes you were correct in questioning whether to post this. The correct answer was NO. Started it for 8 different parents and they all stopped in within the first minute. Cool effects but I often think a lot of kids do not understand “effects” such as the effect of really shooting someone. Not your best choice John.

• Scott Valentine — 9:19 AM on July 09, 2011

In the countless halcyon days of imaginary violence, my friends and I covered every genre we’d ever encountered, usually mixing several at any given moment. What I can actually remember of it seems to be more of the dramatic (acrobatic, even) death scenes and explosions.

I don’t think we ever pictured blood and guts in our role-playing, though we certainly pantomimed it. But we also grew up watching older war and westerns, where you never really saw blood or dismemberment.

I remember feeling slightly disturbed when I first saw Richard Prior do a scene with a stage knife, pretending to cut himself and there was fake blood coming from the cut. I was maybe 8 or so at the time.

Tough to put down an opinion on this stuff without getting into many very large psychological, ethical, and political discussions. I didn’t have a problem watching, and like Doug, I enjoyed the better part of it. Got a little put off by the drugs and terrorism, because we didn’t play like that as kids. And I wonder how else you’d portray what kids are pretending in their heads without a visualization. That being said I bet there is a distinction between pretending the actions and actually visualizing blood spraying out of your victim’s neck.

Copyright © 2017 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)