September 30, 2011

Stream Web fonts right into Photoshop

Extensis has released a free beta of their Web Font Plug-in for Photoshop CS5+. The plug-in (a panel) allows you to use fonts from WebINK (a web font rental service from Extensis) in the creation of website mock-ups in Photoshop. Using the plug-in requires downloading a trial version of the Suitcase Fusion 3 font manager, though it’ll keep running even after the trial period expires.

I haven’t yet gotten to try out the panel, but I’m intrigued. If you have feedback on it or just general thoughts on Web fonts & design tools, please chime in.

Update: Here’s an in-depth overview & demo video.

Posted by John Nack at 10:44 AM on September 30, 2011

Comments

• Brad Dunzer — 1:10 PM on September 30, 2011

Hi John,

I look forward to hearing from you on what you think about the web font panel. We have been getting great feedback from the community on finally being able to design web comps with web fonts. This is beta but its pretty solid and we are looking for feedback on what to add into this next.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have questions.

• Tilo Rust — 1:26 PM on September 30, 2011

How about taking that as an inspiration for the developer teams?
    Adobe Web Fonts (http://www.adobe.com/type/webfont/info.html) accessible in Photoshop (via text tool) and InDesign, Illu and Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Muse, Edge?

• Tim Mackey — 1:27 PM on September 30, 2011

This is fantastic news! I can’t wait to try it—I’ve been waiting for something like this for a very long time. This addresses a huge problem with webfonts, namely that you often would have to buy the font before you could even try it in a mockup. Thanks for sharing this, John!

• Tim Mackey — 6:27 AM on October 19, 2011

Now that Adobe has acquired TypeKit, it would be GREAT to see this feature appear for using TypeKit in Photoshop and the rest of Creative Suite! Hint hint ;-)

• Daniel — 4:56 AM on October 01, 2011

Sounds interesting but I’m not sure I want to open a “Pandora’s box of typographic proportions.” :)

• Scarbom — 10:35 AM on October 03, 2011

i love how adobe is really searching for new ways to not sell us things, but subscriptions to things we used to purchase. thanks adobe!

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)