October 25, 2011

Amazing tech for turning video into 3D

I will never get over how lucky I am to work with people like this:

In this video, Sylvain Paris will show you a sneak peak of a potential feature for editing videos, including the ability to create 3D fly-throughs of 2D videos and change focus and depth of field.

Posted by John Nack at 8:08 AM on October 25, 2011

Comments

• Rob — 9:26 AM on October 25, 2011

All we need now is a technology for editing out Rainn Wilson’s annoying interruptions–or better yet, have Security keep him offstage.

• Kta — 4:39 AM on October 26, 2011

Hell yeah!

• Dennis Mabrey — 9:39 AM on October 25, 2011

Cool but maybe I am missing something.

I am sure I could make something similar using Photoshop Extended to create a Vanishing Point exchange file and importing that into After Effects.

I did something similar a while ago using an image of the long hallway of a hotel. I then had the camera “move down” the hallway turning side to side. It came out well enough.

The BIGGEST problem I have with importing a VPE file is that it is a gamble if it will work right or not. Sometimes you have to go back and re-make the planes in a different order to get it to work.

• Dennis Mabrey — 11:36 AM on October 25, 2011

In about 15 minutes I made the following video using PS to export a VPE (vanishing point) file to AE. The image is a rather low resolution image I grabbed off of Google.

It isn’t quite the same thing but it is about 60% of what the video posted demonstrated.

Unless of course I am really missing something here much of what was demonstrated could be done with existing technology.

• Zev — 9:23 PM on October 25, 2011

Most of these effects are possible with existing software, but require a significant expertise. This has great potential!

PS
    Rainn Wilson is shockingly unfunny here despite his brilliance on The Office. How about Aubrey Plaza next time?

• iPaddler — 9:48 PM on October 25, 2011

John, we’re already tired of your iPhone, pad, tablet, whatever blog.
    Get a job at Apple or Samsung or try to make your teams at adobe clear that we need unified software workflows.
    First of all: Illustrator!!!!! Get that damn ship into water, goddammit!

• Jonas Berggren — 9:44 AM on October 26, 2011

-1.

I am not tired of John. I like this blog and do not belong in your “we”.

• Claudius — 8:17 AM on October 29, 2011

Hey, iPaddler: Who exactly is “we” in your post?

I, for one, like the it the way it is.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)