December 15, 2011

iPen, “The first active stylus for iPad”

Having seen demos like this for the last 18 months, I’m keeping my expectations modest. Still, I love to see that industrious people are trying to help iPads realize their potential, and that customers are responding.

Check out the project’s Kickstarter page for more info. According to the FAQ, the product does not support pressure sensitivity, though they say it’s planned for inclusion in a follow-on version.

Posted by John Nack at 11:44 AM on December 15, 2011

Comments

• Shaun Holloway — 2:39 PM on December 15, 2011

Nice and finally! This would take care of all of my complaints I have with the current styli that are out there. I would love to see this become available for Android devices like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

• Name — 3:43 PM on December 15, 2011

“According to the FAQ, the product does not support pressure sensitivity, though they say it’s planned for inclusion in a follow-on version”

otherwise it would not be apple…

• Claudius — 5:39 AM on December 16, 2011

I’m glad i’m using the Samsung Galaxy Note. It has the stylus-support baked right in, and it’s the same wacom technology that’s featured in the “penabled” Notebooks, so i can interchange the pens. (And yes, it’s also pressure sensitive).

• Alan GIlbertson — 4:09 AM on December 17, 2011

The Lenovo Thinkpad has a pressure-sensitive stylus, a built-in place to store it(!), real, non-proprietary USB and an SD slot. So far, it’s the only one I’ve seen that struck me as being designed for makers. The handwriting recognition in their notes app is so good, and so instant, that it’s downright spooky.

Samsung was demoing pressure-sensitive tablet/stylus combo at MAX, running Adobe Touch Apps. No indication of when it might get to market, though.

• Stormchild — 4:57 PM on December 17, 2011

Pity there’s no pressure sensitivity. That mostly defeats the purpose of this thing, for me. They say they’re planning to implement pressure sensitivity in the iPen 2. That’s good news — if they get around to it — but I won’t be backing the first one.

• fatlabsucks — 6:01 AM on January 07, 2013

iPen2 with Pressure Sensitive !!

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)