January 21, 2012

Glimpses of Guatemala

In brief, stand-out things I saw in my first few hours: A bus with the Virgin Mary on the side and a Confederate flag in the back window; a truck whooshing up on me and displaying a crowd of peeing cows with Stars of David branded on their rumps; another bus whose windshield featured a three-eyed graffiti smiley face above a bunch of unpatched bullet holes; and hopped-up paramilitary pickups laden with soliders and emblazoned with the word “Quiche” (gourmet troopers?).

I snagged photos (of very uneven quality) of some of this and hope to share them soon. I’m finding, though, that photo-editing workflows on iPad remain about as graceful as a toddler–full of both promise & constant painful wipeouts.

Posted by John Nack at 10:50 PM on January 21, 2012

Comments

• Armand — 1:32 AM on January 22, 2012

I gave up trying to use the iPad for anything productive. My son uses it for games and that’s it. I use a Samsung tablet to do some light editing in Photoshop Touch. The workflow is much simpler and I can actually get something done. I dream that someday there’ll be a light version of Lightroom available too…

• Matthew Campagna — 11:03 AM on January 22, 2012

While certainly not as powerful as desktop editing applications, I find Snapseed on the iPad to be quite brilliant.

• John Nack — 11:31 AM on January 22, 2012

I’m finding Snapseed to be a pleasure to use, but it’s just one piece of the puzzle. For example, it must dump derivative images into the camera roll, so that I can’t readily browse them alongside what I’ve captured. I see no way to jump from a browsing/culling app into an editing mode and then back, much less to keep edits editable.

• Ken l — 6:25 PM on January 22, 2012

See John,

See the big RED ONE would have done the trick, and mugged but who cares, except Apple.

Ken in KY

• Hizkiyah — 8:32 PM on January 22, 2012

Snapseed is a powerful editor for the iPad(now for Mac aswell!!).

• John Nack — 10:08 PM on January 22, 2012

The problem isn’t with Snapseed but rather with the total lack of an integrated system for browsing, flagging, adjusting, uploading, and deleting. If Apple included basic flagging/filtering in Photos while adding an “Open with…” link to other apps, things would be much improved.

• Bob Stone — 4:10 AM on January 23, 2012

Your trip already having an unanticipated, and I think valuable, outcome. I would not be surprised if you become the project manager for a new Adobe iPad app when you return.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)