February 19, 2012

What’s the point of having an Adobe ID?

I know, I know: you need another username/password combo like you need a hole in the head. There are real benefits to having an Adobe ID, though (e.g. keeping track of your serial numbers). Jeff Tranberry quickly lists details. [Via John Dowdell]

Posted by John Nack at 8:38 AM on February 19, 2012

Comments

• Chris — 9:11 AM on February 19, 2012

Cool, then just allow me to use my google ID.

• John C. Welch — 10:36 AM on February 19, 2012

the problem is, y’all are moving to where we CAN’T install or use your software without that ID. That’s not helpful anymore.

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 12:42 PM on February 19, 2012

Care to elaborate on how that’s ‘not helpful anymore’? Last time I checked, my iOS devices required an Apple ID to install *any* software on them – and by default Mountain Lion will require the same for the desktop.

• Claudius — 5:08 PM on February 19, 2012

This is precisely one of the reasons i dislike iOS.

• John C. Welch — 2:55 PM on February 23, 2012

“Billy kicked a baby, so you’re not allowed to complain about bobby punching a puppy”

The fact that Apple does things that may or may not be stupid isn’t really a factor here. I have no problem with Adobe IDs as vehicles for enhancements or extra benefits. But when I can’t install a third party application on someone else’s OS without it? Especially when I’m installing via a company-bought enterprise license? That’s dumb.

If you want to debate iOS and Mountain Lion, be my guest, but those are *similar*, yet *different* issues, ones that *Adobe* has no control over since they are *Apple* products.

I’m asking about *Adobe* products.

• Gilles — 1:05 PM on February 19, 2012

>>>
    <<>>
    <<>>
    Protection from counterfeit software
    <<>>
    Access to communities and support
    <<>>
    Streamlining Software Purchases
    <<<

Well finally one that actually confers a real benefit to me. I don't have to type in my VISA number a second time when I go to renew or update.

Though I must say that personally, I would far prefer to retype a set of 16 numbers I carry around in my wallet rather than go through the "I forgot my userid" / "I forgot my password" song and dance routine when I come back around after a year or more to log in to a system I never ever otherwise use or have any use for.

If you want to force us to register our software through this just go ahead and do it. Unapologetically. But please don't treat us like children and try to paint this as for us. At least be honest about your intentions.

• Gilles — 1:06 PM on February 19, 2012

Whoa. 75% of what I wrote is gone. I don’t feel like recomposing it. Might as well delete that.

• John wilker — 1:39 PM on February 19, 2012

Too bad the myriad systems that Adobe uses don’t allow one to have a single ‘adobe id’

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 7:38 PM on February 19, 2012

The same/single Adobe ID/Password should work across all our services – though, you may need to into the services separately. This is pretty typical. If I log into iCloud for example, I’d need to log in separately to post something to Apple’s support forums. Or if I buy something on eBay, I’ll need to log again to pay with my Paypal account – even though eBay owns Paypal as well.

• melgross — 8:23 AM on February 20, 2012

The problem for me is that I’ve gotten so much software from Adobe over the years, that they gave me numerous ID’s. This goes back to the beginning of when they first gave them out. I can see 7 right here where I’m looking.

It’s confusing, and old ID’s lose their validity, so you have to again get a new one.

While a few people don’t like that you need an Apple ID to install software from them, that’s silly. Having one ID that’s linked to your name, or account makes much more sense than an ID that’s tied to a particular software purchase, which is how Adobe did it. I have ID’s for every bit of software I ever bought from them, includi g all of the software A bought from Aldus after they purchased them. That’s a LOT of ID’s.
    it’s somewhat better now, but it still needs fixing.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)