April 23, 2012

Adobe Creative Cloud, nicely encapsulated

From Time’s Harry McCracken:

With Creative Cloud, your fifty bucks a month gets you everything in every version of Creative Suite, plus Lightroom (the cool photo management/editing program), Edge (HTML5 web editing) and Muse (code-free website building), plus Photoshop Touch and other apps for the iPad and Android. These are still conventional desktop applications, not browser-based services, but you’re entitled to download as many of them as you like at any time. […]

That last little bit is key.  I’ll say more about it soon.

Posted by John Nack at 1:29 PM on April 23, 2012

Comments

• Tim Mackey — 2:38 PM on April 23, 2012

The continuous feature roll-out is one thing that is seriously tempting me to switch from buying the program. One thing I’m curious about though…is there any way to switch from the subscription service back to buying the full software, without having to pay full-price for everything? The biggest pitfall I can see is if somewhere down the road someone can’t afford the subscription anymore because they’re not professional users, and all of a sudden they can’t use any of the software anymore. The great thing about having bought the Adobe package software over the years is that I could still go back and use my old copy of Photoshop 7 on my old iBook G4 if I really needed to.

• Tim Mackey — 2:39 PM on April 23, 2012

When I say “switch from buying the program” I mean “stop buying it and subscribe instead.”

• Steve — 3:57 PM on April 23, 2012

I’m really interested in this, sounds like a great concept, but Adobe are charging just over US$85 for it here in Norway – That’s a BIG price difference… It may be cheaper to just buy a box version from the states on eBay, in the longer term I mean… but then of course you don’t get the free upgrades as newer versions get released.

• Laurent B-Roy — 9:38 PM on April 23, 2012

Are you sure it include Lightroom? I don’t see it on the buying guide page…

Also… available to Canadians? It sure look interesting! Oh, last question : Adobe include some mobile device tool (touch apps I think they’re called). Those aren’t included I suppose?

• Rene — 11:41 PM on April 23, 2012

Hi John,
    A question and then a comment…

The bit about “rolling out features continuously” has me concerned. While it sounds great, how will compatibility between Cloud and boxed versions not be an issue? Will the print house I send files to need to have two versions of the CS6 apps?

[This is an excellent question, and teams will need to tread carefully here. It would really suck if my copy of CS6 couldn't talk to your copy of CS6 just because we elected different payment options. On the other hand, as a product builder, it sucks to keep people waiting for functionality you could deliver sooner, if only we did more incremental releases. I think it'll come down to making feature enhancements that don't affect the file format & thus interoperability. --J.]

This is the part of this whole deal that seems made up to me. Like marketing/sales needed one more bullet of differentiation. If we’re not talking CS7 level features, and just minor teaks and corrections to the app’s behaviors, why wouldn’t Adobe put that out to all CS6 users regardless if they are Cloud or box users? Even Microsoft has made tweaks and adjustments to Office for Mac to address Lion and not charged their users or withheld the bug fixes until they can charge for them. I understand about access to “new” apps in the Cloud subscription being not available to box users, but not keeping parity with the core apps is puzzling.

[Some of this comes down to accounting rules ("revenue recognition") that non-experts like me have a hard time elaborating on publicly (and that you frankly wouldn't want to delve into). As I say I'll try to address all this in more detail soon. --J.]

• Rene — 10:44 AM on April 24, 2012

Thanks for answering back. I knew that this was the place to come to post my concerns. Thanks again for listening.

• Nigel — 12:44 AM on April 24, 2012

As far as I can see from the Adobe site Creative Cloud DOES NOT include Lightroom or Photoshop Touch and other apps for the iPad and Android. Can you please clarify whether this is correct.

• Stephen Walker — 2:43 AM on April 24, 2012

This is the best step Adobe could ever have taken. I’m very, very excited by Creative Cloud. Possibilities are endless. And I like the idea of rolling out features continuously. Seems like it’s the only way to go in this fast changing world.
    Love it !!
    Only downsides are :
    Being in South Africa I see we aren’t entitled to the first year reduced rate for existing clients.
    And being an Adobe Software reseller I can see that part of my business vanishing completely – great for the consumer but bound to be some job losses along the supply chain – not a complaint really since the user benefits through cheaper pricing, but still worth a tiny thought for those involved in sales.

• Peter — 4:05 AM on April 24, 2012

adobe cloud 49,99$ a month (USA)
    adobe cloud 61,49 euro a month (europe)

1 dollar = 0,759589821 euro

go fuk yourself adobe!!

• BJ Nicholls — 2:11 PM on April 24, 2012

“You’re always entitled to the newest version of all the programs, and Adobe says that it’s going to start rolling out features continuously rather than waiting for sweeping upgrades every couple of years.”

Yep, that’s the strategy that will make Adobe a monopoly creative software utility that should now get the attention of antitrust regulators around the world. People buying perpetual licenses will find themselves without bug fixes (I should say, with even fewer bug fixes).

[No, that would be totally unacceptable, and I'm sorry you got that impression. I'm talking about *feature* enhancements, not bug fixes. Delivering the former can't be allowed to impede delivering the latter. --J.]

• Paul HH — 4:04 AM on April 25, 2012

I hope that when you can tell us more that you’ll be able to say that Adobe will be ‘rolling out features continuously’ for CS box sets as well as Creative Cloud.

Upgrading from CS5 Web Premium is going to cost $1150 (£714) in for me in the UK, and $749 for folk in the USA, so I hope Creative Suite owners will still be valued customers. Creative Cloud is exciting, but for various reasons its not right for me yet.

Really looking forward to playing with CS6 Illustrator and Photoshop together! Just a bit concerned about getting a raw deal and being a second class Adobe citizen.

• Nigel — 1:46 PM on April 26, 2012

John,

I wonder if its possible for you to answer Laurent B-Roy and my earlier posts concerning whether Lightroom or Photoshop Touch and other apps for the iPad and Android are included, as stated in Harry McCracken’s quoted article.

The Adobe website seems to contradict his statement but I would like confirmation as I am looking at upgrading to both LR4 and CS6 and I need to understand if a Creative Cloud subscription on its own could meet my needs or if I wold also have to upgrade LR.

• Steve — 7:05 PM on May 01, 2012

John,

Any word on the Lightroom question?

• A — 1:49 AM on May 17, 2012

adobe cloud 49,99$ a month (USA)
    adobe cloud 61,49 euro a month (europe)

1 dollar = 0,759589821 euro

!!!!!!!!!!
    Do you think we are rich over here???

• A — 1:51 AM on May 17, 2012

Sorry but this is way wrong and a dealbreaker for me…
    We are talking about digital distributions here. There is no extra cost of shipping to Europe or anything. Why the price difference?

50USD to 50EUR would be acceptable but not this….

• A — 1:53 AM on May 17, 2012

You also mention that Touch Apps are included, but this looks different:

[Here's the info you need. --J.]

• chris — 5:07 PM on June 15, 2012

any update on Lightroom availability yet?

• michelle — 9:43 AM on August 25, 2012

do you know if you can still use third party software with the cloud programs? like photoshop with poser? this is the only thing i need to know. thank you

[It's just regular Photoshop, same as ever (i.e. it's not in the cloud). --J.]

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)