May 17, 2012

Demo: Top 10 Time-Saving Enhancements to Layers in Photoshop CS6

Does anyone convey more useful info in less time than Julieanne Kost? This video just taught me things, and I work here, for crying out loud.

Posted by John Nack at 8:33 AM on May 17, 2012

Comments

• Todd Patrick — 8:31 PM on May 17, 2012

Layer effects for a group just blew my mind.

[Cool! Was it like this? --J.]

For CS7 can we release group effects to the layers within? I mean, while we’re living in dream land…

[I doubt it, as I'd think you'd run into the same issues that prevent us from expanding Smart Objects. --J.]

• Richard — 11:06 AM on May 18, 2012

Well it’s good she did this because the default Windows Layer dialog installs as a brain dead flyout, where it’s close to useless. And that properties panel when the layer panel is a flyout, also a no show.

I’d sure like to know what workspace she is using here, because the default installed space definitely put me off from purchasing the product.

So I’ll play with it again when I have a chance. But getting a docked layers and properties panel needs to be much simpler than the installed workspace initially makes it.

• imajez — 1:07 AM on May 20, 2012

Richard you can customise and make workspaces exactly as you like them and then save them too – though I find my main default workspace does the job most of the time.
    I never use default workspaces on any software as they are either to demonstrate what the software can do or personalised to a workflow that suits someone else.

• imajez — 3:48 AM on May 20, 2012

To clarify, that’s my main customised default workspace, not Adobe’s.

• Stormchild — 12:13 PM on May 20, 2012

That’s great stuff. I would never have discovered the shortcut for clipping a layer to another layer or group. Layer styles directly on groups is brilliant too.

I very much appreciate the rapid pace of the video as well. Usually I can’t make it through most of these kinds of videos, mostly due to the tendency for people to overexplain what they’re doing (I find myself dragging the slider hoping to land on the spot where they finally get to the point).

Thanks Julianne (and John).

• Henrik — 8:32 AM on May 25, 2012

For users with a bit of experience and less patience, Julieanne’s videos are the best.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)