June 20, 2012

Creating 32-bit (HDR) images in Lightroom 4.1

In this Quick Tip, Julieanne Kost quickly demonstrates how to create a 32-bit file from multiple exposures in Photoshop and then, using the Develop module in Lightroom 4.1 refines the image’s color and tonality both globally and selectively – all while still working in 32-bit!

Posted by John Nack at 8:08 AM on June 20, 2012

Comments

• Pedro Estarque — 2:32 PM on June 20, 2012

You can, of course, do the same in Photoshop’s ACR.
    Just choose Camera Raw as the file format when you are opening the TIF.

I often get better results with ACR’s new Shadow/Highlight/Clarity than with Photoshop’s HDR Toning.

• Mike McFarlane — 5:20 AM on June 21, 2012

Julieanne is just brilliant at explaining things really clearly. And I really like this new functionaility too.

• Rick L. — 3:40 PM on June 26, 2012

I’m using the trial versions of LR 4.1 and PS CS6E (I’m a CS4 / LR 3 user, about to pull the trigger on Creative Cloud). Loved Julieanne’s explanation of creating the 32 bit image in PS, but when I went to give it a try, LR is telling me “The file uses an unsupported bit depth” when it comes back in.

I checked my version – LR 4.1 running on 10.6.8.

In any event, thanks for your blog, John – I always learn something!

• Rick L. — 9:14 PM on June 26, 2012

Thanks for the e-mailed guidance, John! Changing the LR “Edit in Photoshop” preference from .psd to .tif fixed my issue.

I really appreciate that you took the time to personally reach out… We use Adobe products at work, and I use them at home – the unexpected personal touch / customer service is very cool :).

[Cool, my pleasure; it’s a chance for me to learn things, too. –J.]

• halboye — 1:22 PM on August 22, 2012

when i go through the steps to create the HDR and try to save the 32 bit image, it doesn’t show up in LR. Instead there’s a grey box and note saying the image is in a format that is not supported.
    Using LR4.1 and CS5

If i make the HDR image 16 bit, it works

What to do?

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)