July 10, 2012

Graphics awesomeness, circa 1990

Ian Moss juxtaposed an interesting pair of vintage videos. First there’s “The mighty Quantel Paintbox with its custom hardware and 10 years of knowhow behind it…”

“…versus version 1 of Adobe Photoshop, running on a Macintosh Classic for a 10th of the cost.”

The second vid’s a bit misleading as it shows PS 1.0 running on Mac Plus (from 1986) “with 1-bit (black&white) display, 8MHz CPU and 4MB RAM.” Here’s Photoshop co-creator John Knoll re-creating his original Photoshop demo:

Posted by John Nack at 8:48 AM on July 10, 2012

Comments

• Dannyy — 10:15 AM on July 10, 2012

I’m confused by the two cursers on the John Knoll video. Was it really like that back then?

[Yeah, that confused me, too; not really sure what was going on there. I think it’s some artifact of the video production, not something that represents how PS or the Mac worked back then. –J.]

• Dragos — 11:57 AM on July 10, 2012

There was no such thing in PS 2 on System 7.1.
      The screen captures in the video look like they are done on an emulator (they look too perfect), that’s probably the cause for the 2 cursors.

• Dragos — 11:17 AM on July 10, 2012

For a millionth of the cost, rather :)

• m pawliger — 7:26 PM on July 10, 2012

Funny, when I hear “Paintbox v Photoshop” I think of something very different: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantel_Paintbox

• clint tennant — 12:54 AM on July 11, 2012

There’s a great article and companion podcast with Alvy Ray Smith on fxguide.com right now. He really goes into the hisotry of paint and compositing in the early days and hits on the Quantel & Adobe history.

• KedR — 2:42 AM on July 11, 2012

Back in 2005-ish I remember getting a free DVD with some exclusive PC magazine and received PS trial version for free. It was so very exciting and my old desktop could barely handle PS then.
    I still use PS along with LR but have heaps of computing power to handle them both along with a very large monitor.
    Love PS and LR.

• Bengt — 4:22 AM on July 11, 2012

I have known the name Photoshop for a very long time, but in 2008/2009 watching Bert Monroy on the pixelperfect show, i fell in love, :)
    Now a proud owner of Photoshop CS6 ext, and Lightroom 4 licenses.
    Hail to the People at Adobe :)

• Charles — 2:26 PM on July 14, 2012

I was amused to see several images in that Quantel demo that I know were done on a Mac, because a friend of mine did them. He drew them in PixelPaint. I won’t identify the images or the artist, but I bet Jerry Harris would recognize them.

Copyright © 2017 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)