December 20, 2012

Wow! Adobe & Behance are getting together

I’m thrilled that Adobe & Behance announced today that Behance (a million-member creative community, in case you’ve been living under a rock) is becoming part of Adobe.

Adobe thrives only when our customers do, and it’s not enough just to build—or to use—great tools. Making a living as a designer involves much more than making designs: it of course demands making connections, finding jobs, promoting your work, and getting paid. There’s a big world before “File->Open” and a big one after “File->Export.” Adobe’s bet is that if we can help you more effectively engage with your clients & your peers, your business will improve—and thus so will ours.

As with every acquisition/merger, people will say “I love [Behance]. Please don’t ruin it.” That’s totally understandable, but I wouldn’t worry. Behance co-founder Scott Belsky writes,

Adobe deeply respects the sanctity of the Behance community, and will preserve the philosophy and values that drive it. Adobe’s acquisition of Typekit is a recent example; the service has remained intact while also being incorporated into Adobe’s Creative Cloud offering for better accessibility and value for users.

Adobe’s tech will make Behance better. Scott says,

We’ve got a long-term vision for serving the creative community that is greatly advanced by Adobe’s reach, and what we have planned will also improve Adobe’s services in the process… There are so many things we’ve always dreamed of doing but lacked the resources, data scientists, and PhD’s to figure it out.

Creative Cloud has just started rolling, and it’ll only get more valuable. (Just last week, we added new digital publishing services and training features, and launched file sync and sharing.) Now, Adobe VP David Wadhwani writes,

All Creative Cloud members will soon gain access to the base Behance capabilities (like portfolio creation and community features) while paid Creative Cloud members will also have access to premium capabilities (like Behance ProSite).

I’m just incredibly excited about this, and when you see what we already have cooking, I think you will be, too. Stay tuned!

Posted by John Nack at 4:34 PM on December 20, 2012

Comments

• Scott — 2:42 AM on December 21, 2012

Ah yes, export. I would be nice if PS could do it: strip out flatten, alpha channels, color samplers, metadata, and on and on.
    I keep asking but…

• NoNoob — 4:40 AM on December 21, 2012

the cloud bubble…….. the next new thing to screw the average joe noob.

[How do we ever get any work done, what with our hands occupied twiddling our villainous mustaches? --J.]

• NoNoob — 2:30 PM on December 23, 2012

well you don´t get much work done .. otherwise you would fix some major bugs…..

• John Hoffman — 9:45 AM on December 21, 2012

As a retiree, who is an almost daily but amateur user of Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Acrobat, neither Behance nor renting software under the Cloud plan are of interest to me. Nonetheless, I am glad to see Adobe offering them.

Monthly stream revenues have obvious benefits to Adobe in that they help to level revenues and make the Company less susceptible to sudden financial difficulty if a new release is not popular (as happened with Ashton-Tate, Borland, and many software vendors). Financial stability benefits users who want the products to continue to thrive with the addition of new features that allow us to do more in less time.

The availability of rental plans also benefits many users directly, allowing them to level expenses rather than face sudden large outlays every time a new version becomes available. It also allows large design studios to scale up and down the number of copies they are paying for as workflows grow and recede.

I’m also amazed at people who complain that Adobe brings out new versions “too often.” It’s a choice. You buy the new version if the new features will benefit you enough to justify the cost of upgrading. If not, you continue using your old version.

I guess it’s part of the new selfishness that seems to be rampant: “If I can’t have it, I don’t want anyone else to have it either.”

• Rick Popham — 5:31 PM on December 21, 2012

This is pretty much the way I feel about the “Cloud”, with the key phrase being:

“The availability of a rental plan does no harm to users of the traditional “permanent” purchase, so long as Adobe makes both types of purchase available.”

Based on the questions in a couple of “Creative Cloud” surveys I received recently, I think Adobe is intent on eliminating the traditional licenses. Rather than eliminate them outright, I think they’ll make the traditional upgrade more onerous by either raising the price or making them more frequent, or both.

They’ll probably gather all these “Cloud” features together next spring, call it CS 6.5, say that it’s a full version, and require us to upgrade to stay current.

• Mikael — 3:06 PM on December 21, 2012

Sorry John, it sounds like a lot of marketing bollox to me.

[The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I'm grabbing a spoon. --J.]

• NoNoob — 2:31 PM on December 23, 2012

as if jack would pay for it…

PR guys.. lying is half of the job.

• Richard Broom — 9:52 AM on December 22, 2012

I remain deeply suspicious of Adobe’s motives…..

• Allen Cobb — 11:26 PM on December 27, 2012

My only worry about the Cloud is what happens if, for some period of time (perhaps a year or more?), I just can’t afford to continue the monthly payments. With a perpetual license, it means only that I can’t upgrade for a while, perhaps missing a version. But with the Cloud version, I would be suddenly left without any Suite tools at all. This is more than a little frightening. I’ve spent many thousands on the Master Collection license, but if I pay into the Cloud the equivalent of another perpetual license upgrade, failure to *keep paying* means I’m dead in the water. If there were some kind of fallback option I’d be a lot more comfortable about switching from license to rental.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)