January 12, 2013

Is is real, or is it After Effects?

That’s what I found myself wondering as I watched Supralude‘s That Night In Williamsburg. He won’t spill many beans, but what do you think? Were those lights added in post, and how can you tell one way or the other?

Posted by John Nack at 8:09 AM on January 12, 2013

Comments

• Scott Valentine — 9:09 AM on January 12, 2013

My guess is AE in part because of the purity of the sync, but also the haze from the lights, which are amazingly brighter than the other lights. If I had to deconstruct, I’d probably start by building a virtual stand-in scene in 3D and put the lights behind the architectural elements.

However it was done, it’s beautiful.

• Pascal Le Merrer — 9:49 AM on January 12, 2013

It’s written under the video on Vimeo:
    Picture Made by Supralude (Shot with my Canon 5D mkII, edited and post produced with After Effects).
    Sound Made By Near Deaf Experience [Remix of Nine Inch Nails’ 21 Ghosts].

• Mylenium — 11:47 AM on January 12, 2013

100% AE. None of the lighting effects show up in any reflection or give halos on other buildings, which given their intensity they should.

• Jonas Hummelstrand — 12:14 PM on January 12, 2013

Also, the use of Trapcode Shine is pretty obvious. Nicely done, however!

• Ben Hansen — 12:30 PM on January 12, 2013

it’s both but the lights are composited there is a window which is slightly ajar in the last bit of the sequence on the far building (3rd story) in the lighted overlay the angle is strait i made a photoshopy thing to illustrate:

• Rohit — 4:19 PM on January 13, 2013

My guess is AE, Considering the fact that lights are far brighter as compare to others and also there wasn’t any reflection even with that much intensity of lights.

• Sven — 1:15 PM on January 21, 2013

Without no Doubt this is made in AE or Nuke (godrays)
    it doesn’t look photoreel but i love the idea.
    If i had to make one critic, it would be that it’s a bit long, you want to see other biuildings, landscapes, or the video to be shorter
    Thanks for sharing

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)