January 01, 2013

Photography: “Chasing Ice”

Photoshop engineer John Peterson (who’s been behind Photomerge, various vector improvements, and more) highly recommends the new documentary Chasing Ice:

It follows photographer James Balog as he travels the Arctic documenting the massive meltdown of the glaciers.  Among other things, he and his crew set up over two dozen time-lapse cameras to capture the melting ice over a period of years.  The footage they capture of the glaciers Рin some cases melting completely out of frame Рis amazing. Another team, camped out on a freezing ledge for over two weeks, were rewarded with footage of an ice shelf the size of lower Manhattan collapsing into the sea.

It’s some of the most stunning, dramatic landscape photography I’ve seen on a movie screen.

Posted by John Nack at 8:21 AM on January 01, 2013

Comments

• Photoshop — 8:27 AM on January 01, 2013

Very good photos taken in extreme situations!

• Terri Stone — 3:31 PM on January 01, 2013

I saw the documentary a few days ago and agree that it’s well worth watching.

• june — 7:24 PM on January 02, 2013

Wow amazing unique photography! loved to have been there with my camera! (hmmm maybe)

• Pat — 10:09 PM on January 03, 2013

First of I’ll say the documentary was great. However while watching it the first thing I though of was that the photo sequences should be run through the align layers tool because a lot of frames were misaligned from the wind or animails slightly moving the camera housing. I hope the bluray of the movie come with the full image sequences so I can take a shot at cleaning them up : )

• Alyssa — 11:57 PM on July 09, 2013

Some truly spectacular scenery. I don’t imagine I will ever venture to the beautiful but perilous Arctic regions during my lifetime, though. :)

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)