January 16, 2013

Photoshop 13.0.4/13.1.2 updates fix “trial” problem

PM Jeff Tranberry writes,

Today we released Photoshop update version 13.0.4 (for Mac perpetual customers) and version 13.1.2 (for Creative Cloud members, Mac and Windows), resolving this licensing issue:

• Trial screen displays when you open Photoshop CS6 - When you open a copy of Photoshop CS6 that you purchased, a notice displays that you can try this product for 30 days.

How to get the Update

1. In Photoshop, choose Help > Updates.
  2. The Adobe Application Manager will launch. Select Adobe Photoshop CS6 and choose Update.

How to confirm that the Update worked

1. In Photoshop, choose Help > About Photoshop (Win), or Photoshop > About Photoshop (Mac)
  2. For Mac perpetual customers, the version at the top should be Version: 13.0.4
  3. For Win/Mac Creative Cloud members, the version at the top should be Version: 13.1.2.
Posted by John Nack at 10:20 AM on January 16, 2013

Comments

• Scott — 10:48 AM on January 16, 2013

Unfortunately it apparently doesn’t fix the mistake of taking “View Print Size” out that happened in 13.0.3.

This makes both 13.0.3 and 13.0.4 unusable.

It was a true pain getting rid of 13.0.3 which was automatically updated to (English?) because I was dozing.

• Mikael — 3:21 PM on January 16, 2013

And the update for Windows perpetual customers is where, exactly?

[Windows doesn't have this problem & thus doesn't need the update. --J.]

• Rick — 3:22 PM on January 16, 2013

Applied a patch today for a problem with Acrobat X pro not launching (installed with CS6 Design/Web)

Uninstalled AcroX, and reinstalled. Wouldn’t take my username and pass…. But I did get this.

Design and Web Premium Trial
    You can try this product for 32767 days.

So I guess I’m on a 90 year trial.. :-\

• Chris Dickman — 11:22 PM on January 16, 2013

Good to hear this is available. How were affected Creative Cloud subscribers notified that this was available? Or did it simply update automatically?

Thanks

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 1:38 PM on January 21, 2013

It should show up as an update notification in the menu bar on Mac or the taskbar tray on Windows. Of course, you can select Help>Updates… to check manually.

• Marc Yankus — 8:23 AM on January 17, 2013

Didn’t fix it for me. I don’t own PhotoShop Extended. Just regular PhotoShop but ever time I launch PhotoShop it goes into PhotoShop Extended trial mode.

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 1:40 PM on January 21, 2013

Mark,

After you install the update, you will need to activate once by selecting “License this Product” and entering your serial/sign-in. After that, you won’t see the trial dialog again.

• Ambrose — 8:33 AM on January 17, 2013

This just goes on to show how license managers are itself a problem and not a solution. I also never got any information on how to reactivate my CS2 (alledgedly sent to all CS2 customers) if I ever need to reactivate it.

• Dave Courtemanche — 12:40 PM on January 17, 2013

J,
    You might share this with tech support. Spent a half hour plus on chat with them this morning and they told me it was a permissions issue.

• Scott — 12:42 PM on January 17, 2013

I have the same problem as Marc Yankus.

“I don’t own PhotoShop Extended. Just regular PhotoShop but ever time I launch PhotoShop it goes into PhotoShop Extended trial mode.”

• Anders W. Poulsen — 6:31 AM on January 18, 2013

I have the same problem as Marc and Scott.
      When I open Photoshop CS6 regular it behaves like it is PS CS6 extended.
      And what happens when the 30 days are gone?

• Wendy — 8:40 PM on January 17, 2013

“Windows doesn’t have this problem & thus doesn’t need the update. –J.”

What about all the bug fixes and there are plenty that we “real customers” need.

[If you can be more specific, I can look into it. --J.]

• Wendy — 12:55 AM on January 22, 2013

Never mind!

After trying a friends mac with the 13.04 update
      i found more darn bugs in that than windows 13.01.

Hope your next updates aren’t so bug ridden!

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 11:34 AM on January 22, 2013

Wendy, what issues are you seeing? http://phtshp.us/report_a_problem

• Anders W. Poulsen — 12:21 AM on January 23, 2013

Have you clicked on “License this Product” in the trial screen and entered your serial #/Sign-in with your Adobe ID to activate after the update? You need to do this once after installing the update, and then the activation should stick.

This worked for me – problem solved !

• Marc Yankus — 11:28 AM on January 19, 2013

I have 3 days left of the trial and have not heard back from Adobe tech support. See my comments above.
    Marc

• Byron Dillard — 4:20 PM on January 19, 2013

“Windows doesn’t have this problem & thus doesn’t need the update. –J.”

Not true – I have the trial screen licensing issue as a Windows perpetual cutomer. From the forum posts, I’m not the only one.

• Mark Rutherford — 5:13 PM on January 19, 2013

Couldn’t help but notice the references to issues with Adobe support.
    My last couple encounters were lees than helpful too.
    A bit off topic but still relevant I think.

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 1:47 PM on January 21, 2013

Hi Mark,

Do you have any case # I could review for you or open questions I could answer?

• Michael — 5:20 AM on January 21, 2013

Hmmm… so I’ve got a somewhat related question concerning upgrade licensing: will Photoshop CS 6.5 be considered the same “version” as Photoshop CS 6 and thus offer the upgrade price for owners of Photoshop CS5 looking to move to Photoshop CS6.5?
    The chat agent I communicated with on Adobe’s site this morning was unable to provide me with an answer…. I’m considering a platform switch from Mac to Windows, and if CS6.5 won’t allow upgrade price from CS5 I’ll need to make my decision before CS6.5 releases.

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 1:44 PM on January 21, 2013

Hi Michael, there is no Photoshop CS6.5. Currently you can upgrade to CS6 from CS5. You can upgrade to Creative Cloud from any version of CS product version.

• Michael Petersheim — 2:46 PM on January 21, 2013

Thanks for the response, Jeffrey; I am aware that there is no Photoshop CS6.5… but, see, if we are not given upgrade pricing from CS5 to the next release (which I call 6.5, due this year sometime) I will need to know that prior to release, right? If that is the case and I don’t find that out until after release, it will be too late to upgrade since Adobe only offers upgrade pricing for the previous version.

I suspect that upgrade pricing will still be available for minor releases, but I’d like to know for sure.

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 7:36 PM on January 21, 2013

Hi Michael, they usually announce details about the next version a month or two in advance, so you will have a window to decide what you want to do in terms of upgrades.

• Michael — 5:54 AM on January 22, 2013

Acknowledged; thanks for the follow-up!

• Michael Petersheim — 2:53 PM on January 21, 2013

My understanding of Adobe’s release cycle for Photoshop is based on this article: http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-creative-suite-release-schedule-cs6.html.

According to that, we can expect a minor release of Photoshop this year, not a milestone release. So the minor release this year would still be the same milestone number (6), so would the previous milestone (5) qualify for upgrade price, or does it only go back one release, regardless whether it’s a minor or milestone release?

• Dave Courtemanche — 9:22 AM on January 21, 2013

J,
    This didn’t seem fix it. Now my people are getting it with Illustrator.

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 1:42 PM on January 21, 2013

Hi Dave,

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 1:46 PM on January 21, 2013

If you have a case # I can review your support case. By chance are you running Windows 64bit? There is a known issue with a subset of Win 64bit customers with specific hardware/Bios specifications: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/64-bit-creative-suite-applications-repeatedly.html

• Ben — 11:04 AM on February 01, 2013

I’ve suffered this for the past few weeks on Win7 64bit/Creative Cloud member. Trial screen on CS6 apps, entering my Adobe ID only prompted a serial request.

Adobe Application Manager assured me everything was up-to-date, however Photoshop was still 13.1

I found this Adobe forum post ( http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1136834 ) suggesting installing another app, so I installed Acrobat XI.

This prompted AAM to update itself first, then installed Acrobat, then updated Photoshop to 13.1.2. And now no more trial screens.

Perhaps the out-of-date AAM was the issue.

• Jenny — 6:28 AM on February 08, 2013

I’m testing out the Cloud Trial of Photoshop CS6 extended for windows. Is the 13.1 update available for the trial version? I wanted to access the new feature “copy layer to css”.

p.s. – I have the 64 bit and the standard installed, but I have NOT experienced the 64 bit problems people have described.

• William — 3:31 AM on February 19, 2013

Why there is no update available for Photoshop CS6 Perpetual in Windows?

I’m using Windows and yes, it is 64 bit and the link which you have provided:

is no use – It only says to copy and paste the serial number everytime I launch the software.

It is annoying. Can I use Photoshop 13.1.2 update for Perpetual serial number?

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)