January 17, 2013

Quick tip: Pasting content into layer masks

Spoiler: Opt-/Alt-click the layer mask! Yeah, I knew that; sure I did…

Posted by John Nack at 8:08 AM on January 17, 2013

Comments

• Ambrose — 8:28 AM on January 17, 2013

I never understood why this common action is so hard to do in Photoshop. Stop using it for a while and I’ll forget it. Do what I expect should work and things will not work. In any version of Photoshop. And worse, ways that used to work in old versions of Photoshop may suddenly stop working for no reason.

The Gimp isn’t Photoshop, for sure, but for doing this specific thing the Gimp’s interface is far more intuitive. I mean, even though I didn’t “get it” on my own I read about it once and I haven’t forgotten how to do it ever since, because it simply makes so much more sense.

• salvis — 9:51 AM on January 17, 2013

Thanks for the tip! I wanted to do this one time, but i had to go about doing it another way…can’t say I would have guessed the alt-click on the layer mask as an intuitive thing, but now I know.

• Alex — 3:06 PM on January 17, 2013

I knew that too……….

• Richard Broom — 8:46 AM on January 18, 2013

Julieanne Kost is the brightest of stars in the Photoshop firmament. Life on Planet Adobe would be so very dull without her.

Richard

[Well said! –J.]

• Henrik — 1:49 AM on March 08, 2013

Agreed that Julieanne’s tutorials are some of the most instructive!

• Bengt R Kiil — 7:36 PM on January 21, 2013

John, can you contact me please, i think i found a bug with this. Made a video where i tries to reproduce this but ends up with different result. Im on a late 2009 27″ iMac 2.8ghz i7 and ATI 4850 graphics adapter. Fresh install of Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and PS with patch 13.0.4 (not CC member)

• Bengt R Kiil — 10:46 PM on January 22, 2013

Jeffrey Tranberry, done.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)