February 28, 2013

Watch a master illustrator at work

Check out Danny Cooke’s portrait of master sign maker David A. Smith exquisitely crafting an album cover & related artwork. And—gasp—does this mean I don’t hate John Mayer?

Posted by John Nack at 11:16 PM on February 28, 2013

Comments

• Pawel — 11:49 PM on February 28, 2013

Whats amazing is how long this process is… but the results are truly stunning.

• Peter C — 2:21 AM on March 01, 2013

Wow!
    An amazing craftsman with an incredible skill, I raise my glass to you David.
    Thank you for the insight into your wonderful work, which by the way was presented in a delightful video.

• Claudia McCue — 6:40 AM on March 01, 2013

In bygone years, I’ve done acid etching of glass, and even a bit of gold-leafing. But I’m not worthy to wash David A.Smith’s feet with my hair. What gorgeous creations!

As for John Mayer, if he’d quit dating bimbos, shut up, and just play the sublime blues guitar of which he’s so capable, you would have to not hate him. But don’t worry; none of that will happen.

• Brian — 8:09 AM on March 01, 2013

Seeing that work makes me so jealous. The guy is amazing (the sign painter, not Mayer). I sure hope he really is passing along what he knows.

• michael jahn — 8:19 AM on March 01, 2013

Stunning !

• Rick McCleary — 4:52 PM on March 01, 2013

I’m left of humbled and speechless. This level of craft is rarely seen these days. The time, the patience, the focus, the maturity. Bravo, David Smith.

• Cris DeRaud — 12:07 PM on March 02, 2013

Love this! Absolutely incredible stuff done like the classic craftsmen and a top notch craftsman to boot.

Talent, dedication to detail, long hours and hard work to create masterpieces for those who appreciate the real thing.

• Ammar Midani — 8:59 AM on March 18, 2013

been always a fan for that cover..yeah you can’t decide on John..

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)