March 05, 2013

5 Reasons to Use Layer Groups in Photoshop

Did you know you can put multiple strokes on a layer in CS6? Julieanne Kost provides a quick tour of the neat things you can do with layer groups these days.

Posted by John Nack at 9:05 AM on March 05, 2013

Comments

• Ben Hansen — 9:58 AM on March 05, 2013

neato learn something new everyday, this is my top thing for the day so far.

• Nikolay — 11:09 AM on March 05, 2013

Wow I always was ignoring the layer group function but now after watching this 5 tips tutorial I’ll be deploying it much more often in my workflow.

• J. Paul Moore — 12:55 PM on March 05, 2013

This was very interesting! It caught my attention because I had a BMW 2002 sedan (with sunroof) I always thought it had very good design.

• Jeremy Chone — 3:33 PM on March 05, 2013

@John, ok, so about the multiple stroke in one shape, that would be great, but somehow, I think there are a bug that made any “un-closed” stroke auto-close when you add another one :(

So, the work around is to use one shape per “open stroke” and group them to apply any eventual common styling. Works but not as simple as just having the stroke not doing the auto-connect.

• Richard Broom — 12:10 AM on March 06, 2013

Julieanne Kost – never fails to impress…

Richard

• Jeremy Chone — 12:21 PM on March 06, 2013

@John, if you have time, I would love to get you take on the “auto-close” stroke mentioned above. I think it is a bug, but I might be missing something.

• Jeffrey Tranberry — 9:55 AM on March 07, 2013

Hi Jeremy,

The team is looking into the reported issue.

• Jeremy Chone — 12:23 PM on March 07, 2013

@Jeffrey, thank you for the update. This is all I wanted to hear.

Photoshop Rocks! and this is coming from a developer ;)

• emcomments — 4:26 PM on March 08, 2013

OT

John

The video above is missing and I am told to upgrade my version of Flash when I view this post in Safari without the Flash plugin. However, if I “lie” and set my user agent to iPad it plays just fine.

Why not do ‘browser sniffing’ to right way and check what my browser CAN do not what it can’t?

• Rosetta — 8:37 PM on March 08, 2013

I never know about this function. This video is great.

• Mary — 6:14 AM on March 10, 2013

Thanks for the post!

I’ve been using Photoshop for years and have considered myself an advanced user, but I’ve always ignored the layer group function. I just never really saw the point! I do now! Thanks so much for the great tip!

[Cool! My pleasure. –J.]

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)