March 26, 2013

Sneak Peek: New rotoscoping power in After Effects

You know what sucks? Trying to win a tech fair shootout against the After Effects team. “Dammit,” I’d tell them, “whenever we put something in Photoshop, you strap wheels on it—not cool!”

But it is cool, of course, and this fun video shows a brief history & peek into the future of rotoscoping in After Effects:

Related from the archives: “Male-pattern baldness -> Great Photoshop feature

Posted by John Nack at 7:55 AM on March 26, 2013

Comments

• ProDesignTools — 8:51 AM on March 26, 2013

Wooow, that is pretty freaking amazing… like a quantum leap!

[Yeah. Making research code run efficiently enough for Photoshop is hard enough. But making it run well on 30 images per second? The AE guys are stone-cold killas. --J.]

• Charmaine Haden — 8:52 AM on March 26, 2013

You know I love it!

• Ben Hansen — 8:55 AM on March 26, 2013

Very nice.

• Jususf — 12:18 PM on March 26, 2013

is this like the deblur demo 2 years ago?

something that will never make it into a product?

[Hey, how's the weather in the cheap seats? And as Cormac McCarthy would note, "'Ever' is a long time." --J.]

• Cosmo — 8:53 AM on March 27, 2013

His question seems legitimate, why mock him?

[Because of the lame, snotty way it was phrased. I sure like being scolded when, in 18 months, we somehow haven't made research code fast & general-purpose enough to mass-deploy. --J.]

• Ben Hansen — 8:57 AM on March 27, 2013

ya he was trolling.

• Scott Valentine — 8:03 AM on March 27, 2013

Marvelous! I wonder if we’ll see a merging in the Adobe tech roadmap… PhotoEffects is too trite, so how about AfterShop?

And the extended version with all vector tools would be AfterShopIstrator.

Yeah. InAfterShopIstratorBat 3Dness. But no Flash, because we’ll still be mourning whatsizname.

I want a chair at the big table if this happens. The kind that sounds like flatulence when you sit.

• Jill Hawthorne — 9:12 AM on March 27, 2013

He may be in the cheap seats but you are int the blinkered box suite. While a tool like this would be great it will probably be the only new innovation in AE which for the past few years seems to have slowed on the innovation front. Your blinkered lets make the release of a suite on a schedule rather than when we actually have substantial new features is tiresome.

[Perhaps that's changing. --J.]

• ProDesignTools — 12:06 PM on March 27, 2013

@Jill, it would seem that’s part of the idea of Creative Cloud – that Adobe can release new features whenever they’re ready rather than on an artificial timeline – see:

As for AE, among other things the last two years have brought Global Performance Cache, Warp Stabilizer, Camera Lens Blur, Rolling Shutter Repair, lots of 3D features, many workflow and performance gains, and the Rotoscoping improvements shown to date in the video.

• Jill Hawthorne — 6:33 PM on March 27, 2013

@ProDesignTools – 500,000 other people would agree with you about the cloud. I have all my production machines offline and don’t want Adobe tracking when I use software and what I use (they seem to want to track everything you do – try running little snitch to see what I mean). Also, as an upgrade customer it is cheaper to pay the upgrade fee each 24 months than the monthly cloud fee. But I do see how it would be useful to push out changes as they can make them. Yes, AE has seen some feature updates but really there is usually one big feature that they add and some smaller updates and fixes. But there has not been anything really revolutionary added to AE for many many years – they either license something (from Digieffects, Syntheric Aperture, Imagineer) or bring a “me too” feature (camera tracking and rolling shutter licensed or replicating effects al la The Foundary). I am excited about the partnership with Maxon but the sense I get (and John will no doubt correct me with a sports seating metaphor) but I get the sense that Adobe is not really funding teams to really blow the lid off products rather just enough to drive shareholder revenue every 18 months. That said, Apple’s 4 year since a substantial update to Logic is curious (but I am still making music with it!)

• Stephen Walker — 4:52 AM on March 29, 2013

Not sure Adobe are too interested in individuals. Tracking is surely to anonymously collect data to use for product improvement ?
      Personally I’d be quite happy if Adobe took an interest in me and my work.

A correction to your 24 month upgrade fee – as far as I know the upgrade period is more like 12 months.
      Which brings CC more or less in line with the perpetual licence (price wise) and you get a whole lot more for your money with CC – and I mean a whole lot more – it’s been added to all the time.

You can still work offline with CC – Creative Cloud only requires that you go online once in every 30 days to let the Adobe servers keep your subscription active – after that you can go offline for another 30 days (more or less).

On the innovation front – I don’t really care if Adobe innovate themselves or simply license other developer tools. What matters is what I can do with the software. Not how it gets to me.

And in today’s world I think Adobe have made the correct decision in moving to CC. Developments happen so fast in the software world that it’s critical to pass new features on to the professionals as soon as they are ready. I think that a 12 month wait for new features is too long and risky. If it’s available today I should be using it today – and that’s exactly what CC gives me. I think that professionals who stick to a 12 month upgrade path will eventually lose work because they can’t provide the latest innovations to their clients.

• Ben Hansen — 3:52 PM on March 29, 2013

not be a nit picker but think the actual upgrade cycle has been 18 months it is slightly more then the upgrade fee but as you say you do get a lot more then just the software (free hosting for up to five sites, 20 gigs of cloud storage, etc) which just by itself is more then master collection offers anyway. also it lowers the bar of entry for new paying customers or people who only upgrade occasionally which also means a lower cost for all of us (hopefully) over time.

• ProDesignTools — 6:44 PM on March 29, 2013

CS5 was released in 2010,
          CS5.5 in 2011,
          CS6 in 2012.

• Ben Hansen — 7:08 PM on March 29, 2013

CS1: September 2003
            CS2: April 2005
            CS3: March 27, 2007
            CS4: September 23, 2008
            CS5: April 30, 2010
            CS6: April 23, 2012

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)