April 29, 2013

Ethereal: Draw in the air with Photoshop + Leap Motion

Check out this nifty project from Anastasiy Safari (known for his popular color-picking Photoshop extensions). It combines PS with a Leap Motion controller:

Posted by John Nack at 1:55 PM on April 29, 2013

Comments

• PeterA — 2:12 PM on April 29, 2013

encouraging! really nice work indeed

• John Patrick — 2:27 PM on April 29, 2013

That’s the first serious implementation of Leap Motion I’ve seen so far….. What is the resolution of controller and when it’s out? I mean your software?

• vasgfx — 2:40 PM on April 29, 2013

I can see a great potential! Very good Does it work with other panels from Anastasiy? I’m using Magicpicker color wheel panel and I see how it could be great to pick colors in the air :)

• Anastasiy — 4:11 PM on April 29, 2013

Thanks, PeterA!

vasgfx:
    Yes, you can rotate your fingers to rotate hue and change colors with our MagicPicker! More features and more ways of interaction are coming soon

• Rob — 5:05 PM on April 29, 2013

Really looking forward to the Leap. Unfortunately, they recently pushed back their ship date for pre-order customers to late July.

• Alex — 5:26 PM on April 29, 2013

Congratulations! Good work. They refused to send me one, but I am glad that PS was in the forefront of Leap. I am still waiting a year later.

• Anastasiy — 10:18 PM on April 29, 2013

John Patrick:
    About resolution – what I can tell from my experience – it detects movements of 0.1mm! It’s may be even more precise – my fingers are not precise enough for it :)

As about the date – the software will go public together with Leap Motion Controller, so please stay tuned!

• Anastasiy — 10:18 PM on April 29, 2013

Alex: thank you!

• Stefan Klein — 1:13 AM on April 30, 2013

From a technical view, absolutelty great! But that`s the most unergonomic way to work that I can think of! How long do you guys think you can keep your arms in the air before it hurts? 5 minutes? I need to work 8 hours a day. Time to go to the gym?

• Anastasiy — 10:54 AM on April 30, 2013

Stefan Klein:
    Thanks!
    Good artist is a sporty artist :)
    Seriously speaking, take a look at the traditional guys – they paint on the paper/drawing easel – while actually standing for hours. So we think it’s ok, it will take some time to get used to it of course

• Alex — 4:18 PM on April 30, 2013

With the Cintiq 22HD touch, all this may be for naught. The Wacom tablet looks pretty good.Leap may be a white elephant in our world.

[Well, except for that whole $2500-vs-$70 thing. ;-) –J.]

• Alex — 4:53 PM on April 30, 2013

J, well yea except for that thing, harumph,harumph.

• Alex — 4:55 PM on April 30, 2013

J, would you have said that before young Nack came along?

• Stewart Scott — 4:10 PM on June 10, 2013

It looks like a nice bit of kit but I reckon it would be a very difficult platform for technical, detailed work. He looked to be having trouble with the brush control even though the art work he was doing was quite loose.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)