May 14, 2013

Welcoming a new storyteller to Adobe

I’m delighted to say that accomplished young storyteller Bianca Giaever has just joined my team at Adobe.

Bianca recently graduated Middlebury College, where she created her own program as an Independent Scholar in Narrative Studies. Her short film “The Scared is scared” (below) recently crossed the million-view threshhold on Vimeo, and in 2011 she conducted interviews with veterans across the country by bicycle for the War In Voice Project through a grant from Davis Projects For Peace. She’s been all over public radio, featured at TED, working at the New York Review of Books, and generally making me feel like an underachieving slacker.

Now, why exactly would Adobe want a storyteller on staff? I can’t explain in full yet, but it’ll make sense soon enough. (In the meantime, if that piques your interest, shoot me a note: tinyElvis at adobe.)

For now I’ll just say welcome, Bianca!

Posted by John Nack at 10:23 AM on May 14, 2013

Comments

• Rodo Lana — 11:31 AM on May 14, 2013

Now, why exactly would Adobe want a storyteller on staff?

It makes sense to me, as adobe is telling quite a few stories these days,especially the creative cloud fairy tales.

• michael jahn — 11:40 AM on May 14, 2013

LOL – That was pretty funny Rodo Lana.

John, I fully appreciate that sometime a product category needs someone to inspire the masses as to exactly what a tool or technology ‘is’ or what it means – sometimes, it is not as simple as a recorded demo. Back when PDF was just a child ( when it was just P – PostScript ) and I was PDF Evangelist at AGFA, Dianne Eckloff ( now Dianne Cantwell ) was a GREAT storyteller, and she wrote quite a few whitepapers ( that was all we had back then ! )

• Anonymous bastard — 12:00 PM on May 14, 2013

For every talented person Adobe hires, 10 leave because they get tired of the promise without realization….

Been there, done that, had the corp Amex…

[Did it have “Anonymous Bastard” printed on the front? –J.]

• Lex van den Berghe — 12:19 PM on May 14, 2013

Wow. Brilliant, heavy, naked, universal, genuine and deep…deep. The stuff that makes for great stories. Sounds like we got a good one!

• Ken — 12:41 PM on May 14, 2013

John

Lovely, so simple, direct, smooth. Gosh I just do not think that way.

In my view, Adobe got a real catch. Look out Francis Ford C……

By the way I got my new web site up with the html5 launched. Thanks Adobe, looks good on Ipad3 too

Ken in KY

• Mel Brown — 12:49 PM on May 14, 2013

I suppose they felt a need for SOMEBODY to try to convince customers that Chicken Cloud (my new G-rated moniker) is a good thing, so shuddup, eat your porridge, and go to bed!

Ok, that was a cheap shot, but Winston Hendrickson deserves it! {;)

• Bryan O'Neil Hughes — 8:33 PM on May 14, 2013

Great news! Welcome Bianca.

• Art Swalell — 6:00 AM on May 15, 2013

Lovely films. Great hire. Love your blog. Graduated is not a verb. This from an ex engineer. Holey Cow!

• Mel Brown — 11:13 AM on May 15, 2013

Yes, “graduated” is a verb (it’s the missing word “from” that you might contest). But even if “graduated” were not a verb, nowadays if you matriculate often enough, the college eventually gets tired of looking at you and they consider you graduated and they have a graduate student from the chemistry department draw little horizontal lines on you unless you are lying down, in which case he draws little vertical lines on you. By the way, your post contains four incomplete sentences!

Also, in imperative programming, I think the sequence would be: whole cow, BANG, holey cow. If said cow has a divine quality, her final state could be holy cow. Ha! Winston Hendrickson would not understand any of that!

• mark elliot — 7:39 AM on May 15, 2013

Graduated is a verb…I can see why your an ‘ex’ engineer…

Graduate – Merriam-Webster Online
    Definition of GRADUATE. transitive verb. 1. a : to grant an academic degree or diploma to. b : to be graduated from. 2. a : to mark with degrees of measurement …

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)