June 27, 2013

Adobe Sneak Peek: Painting with Smart Brushes

Holger Winnemoeller shows off new tech for producing painterly strokes. What do you think? (Besides about the lame Rainn Wilson banter, I mean. Yes yes, noted, moving on…)

Posted by John Nack at 7:55 AM on June 27, 2013

Comments

• michael jahn — 8:25 AM on June 27, 2013

I like that – they should name the product GEICO – the art tool so easy, even a cave man can do it. Now, if they made a tool that let me wiggle my mouse around over a spread sheet so i could do my taxes without any skill whatsoever, i would buy that app for sure.

• Ben Hansen — 8:46 AM on June 27, 2013

amazing stuff!

• John Stevenson — 8:47 AM on June 27, 2013

This type of artistic post-processing is already available from third-party plug-ins for Photoshop. Nothing very new here at all.

• Stefan Klein — 8:47 AM on June 27, 2013

Great! I love it!

• Jon — 12:13 AM on June 28, 2013

I like how if you make the brush smaller you automatically are painting with more detail. Maybe add this to clone with content aware so I can quickly smooth large areas and then brush back in the small details quickly?

• Art Swalwell — 8:11 AM on June 28, 2013

Couldn’t even watch it. Don’t know why that Rain (whatever) guy was invited the first time only an idiot would invite him the second. You can pass that along as appropriate.

[Hey, remember the part where I *just said*... nah, forget it. --J.]

• John Stevenson — 8:28 AM on June 28, 2013

… maybe Rain/Rainn came with the Cloud (and has a multi-year subscription deal) …

• John Stevenson — 9:17 AM on June 28, 2013

So, back to point numero uno – both Dynamic Auto-Painter: http://www.mediachance.com/dap/ and the GMX – PhotoPainter: http://www.gertrudisgraphics.com/ have capabilities like those demoed by Holger in the Adobe MAX video (albeit outside of the Photoshop framework).

• John Stevenson — 6:17 AM on June 29, 2013

Back to topic numero uno then – the type of smart brush setup and processing presented by Holger at the Adobe MAX event is available from Dynamic Auto-Painter: http://www.mediachance.com/dap/ and also from the GMX – PhotoPainter: http://www.gertrudisgraphics.com/ (Albeit without the use of the Photoshop framework).

• Ted Azriel — 10:11 PM on June 29, 2013

is painting w/smart brushes available, just curious that concept is similate to Corel Painter’s Clone Brushes

• Robnonstop — 7:47 AM on June 30, 2013

These effect tools that help anyone pretend to be a painter are nice but I prefer tools that help actual painters work with Photoshop, a Flip Tool would be nice for example:

• Ted Azriel — 12:41 PM on July 03, 2013

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)