June 12, 2013

Demo: How To Do A Complete Portrait Retouch in Lightroom 5

Terry White shows what’s possible with the upgraded Healing Brush & radial gradients in LR5:

Posted by John Nack at 7:46 AM on June 12, 2013

Comments

• Rich Morey — 9:29 AM on June 12, 2013

I’ve said this before but I don’t really understand why Adobe puts what is essentially duplicate functionality in different products that are supposed to be complementary. Or maybe I misunderstand what Lightroom is supposed to be used for.

• Terry White — 9:53 AM on June 12, 2013

Rich, complementary products often have overlapping features where it makes sense. For example, in PS I don’t want to have to jump over to AI to draw a line and bring it back into PS. So both products have vector line tools. While PS is always going to be my goto for heavy lifting of pixels, that doesn’t mean that I want to go to it for everything. LR is great for its non-destructive aspects and the more I can do in it the more time I’ll save. When I “need” to go to PS for more, it’s there.

• michael jahn — 1:56 PM on June 12, 2013

when I am in designer mode, i always want InDesign-Illo-Photo-bat. I like the idea that I can hop from one tool to another. I always hoped to see what we saw a few years ago with Acrobat, that, if i needed to edit an object, i could edit it in either photoshop or illustrator…

but, if i was only a photographer, i would like LR to have as many tools as they would allow me to NOT leave LR.

• John Lehet — 6:04 PM on June 12, 2013

I think Adobe’s position is pretty clear that photographers who can no longer afford photoshop under the C.C. scheme will use lightroom.

• Marek — 9:15 PM on June 12, 2013

Very good tutorial!
    Terry has focused on narrow subjects, repeated certain things over and over,shown “real life” work on photo. Great tips about using Upright – Perspective Correction instead of crop !

I still prefer to do all these “beauty” adjustments in PS, but I guess this is just mental break.
    And if you take to consideration nondestructive nature of LR, more and more facts support LR over PS.
    I forgot completely about virtual copy !
    Smart previews is amazing !
    Greetings…………….Marek

• Glasater — 10:03 PM on June 12, 2013

I am so unbelievably disappointed in this new Adobe Cloud arrangement. And the update on Camera Raw is horrible. I cannot install LR5 on Mac OS 10.6.8. Need the new OS. Have only been using PS since version 3.02.
    My disappointment is so profound I cannot express it properly. Know that Adobe doesn’t care about one person’s experience but there it is folks.
    I’ll figure out some other system that will function for my workflow but I believe you’ve lost me.

• Lalo Greiner — 12:47 AM on June 13, 2013

Hey Terry, this a hell of a video! Great work! Loved the new features. I use LR every day and that lightened it all up for me!

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)