July 25, 2013

Beautiful art from a 97yo using MSFT Paint. I am not kidding.

“I came here to pimp Adobe products & chew bubblegum—and I’m all out of Adobe products…” Well no, but I like being reminded that tools are just tools, and artists can make beauty from the simplest of media. As Colossal explains,

Meet Hal Lasko, mostly known as Grandpa, a 97-year-old man who uses Microsoft Paint from Windows ’95 to create artwork that has been described as “a collision of pointillism and 8-Bit art.” Lasko, who is legally blind, served in WWII drafting directional and weather maps for bombing raids and later worked as a typographer (back when everything is done by hand) for clients such as General Tire, Goodyear and The Cleveland Browns before retiring in the 1970s. Decades after his retirement his family introduced him to Microsoft Paint and he never looked back.

[Vimeo] [Via]

Posted by John Nack at 7:57 AM on July 25, 2013

Comments

• Ted Azriel — 10:26 AM on July 25, 2013

Wonderful, just Wonderful….(Quite inspirational
    to us young guys, I’m 74)

• S7 — 11:36 AM on July 25, 2013

Adobe should reach out to him with a free lifetime subscription for Photoshop CC, and a fancy new computer with a LARGE monitor to run it on. Adobe could use some positive P.R. right about now.

• Ted Azriel — 12:55 PM on July 25, 2013

I Agree, while we are at it how about a decent Senior Discount for us old guys who still use the suite, Yeah, Right!

• Kim Aston — 3:13 PM on July 26, 2013

Why do you feel the need to change what he is doing….very successfully! He is 97 yrs old, working with a program for 15 years that is doing exactly what he wants, and needs it to do…..

Giving him a complicated program that would likely be nearly impossible for him to be able to see the controls would likely kill him.

He is implementing a technique similar to the painting technique of pointillism that branches from Impressionism and the term was first coined in 1880.

This is one of the most inspirational stories I have seen in a very long time….don’t mess with success….and thank you J for posting this.

• S7 — 4:53 PM on July 26, 2013

I didn’t say they had to force it on him, but an offer would be nice.

“nearly impossible for him to be able to see the controls would likely kill him.”

Seriously? That’s why I said “with a LARGE monitor”

“a technique similar to the painting technique of pointillism”

As a person who spent many years doing line art shaded by stippling with at first a very fine quill pen, and then later technical drafting pens, I understand the technique.

• truthhurts — 6:06 AM on July 26, 2013

@S7: Cynical note: With Adobe CC his family couldn’t open the files after he passed away…

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)