September 09, 2013
“3-Sweep: Extracting Editable Objects from a Single Photo”
Yes, this is damn cool. Thanks to the approximately 300k people who mailed me the link. :-)
Somewhere Canoma is spinning on its grave’s Z-axis.
Meet Adobe Generator: Real-time asset generation from Photoshop CC
Web designers, screen designers, and anyone who needs to extract image assets out of a Photoshop document: I think you’ll dig this.
Generator allows you to create image assets in real time as you work, eliminating the tedious steps of copying, slicing and exporting each layer manually, and saving you hours of time. Simply add a file extension to the name of your layer or layer group, and Photoshop will automatically create a JPG, PNG or GIF from the contents of that layer. If you make a change to that layer, the file is immediately updated. This means that you now have a folder of images that are always up-to-date with your Photoshop design.
This update is available right now (via the CC app or by choosing Help->Updates within Photoshop). Check it out:
Here’s the crazy part: Generator is open-source (right here on GitHub), based on Node.js, so you can extend it (and Photoshop) in all kinds of interesting ways. Check out this video from the The Engine Co., who used Generator to write a plug-in for their Loom gaming engine that allows game designers to change the UI of a game in Photoshop while the game is being played:
150+ new enhancements coming to Adobe CC video apps
Creative Cloud is all about continuous innovation. The CC apps that debuted just a couple of months back are already getting a ton of enhancements, and Adobe’s rolling out a brand-new iPad app, Prelude Live Logger. Highlights of this round of updates include:
- Direct Link integrated color pipeline between Premiere Pro and SpeedGrade
- Expanded native support for 4K and higher resolution, RAW, and UltraHD content
- New mask tools – new Mask Tracker in After Effects and multiple masks in SpeedGrade
- A smoother editing experience with new editing features, improved multicam and closed captioning
- Faster on-set production workflows, including a preview of the new Prelude Live Logger iPad app
- Powerful image upscaling in After Effects
- Performance optimizations
- Media Browser in After Effects
- Sync Settings in Adobe Media Encoder
- Better production planning with Adobe Story Plus
Check out this quick demo from Jason Levine: