January 22, 2014

What annoys people about their photo collections?

Here’s what recently deceased photo-sharing startup Everpix heard from customers they surveyed. (Click for a larger version.)

photoFrustrations_sm

We think so much about adjusting images, when for most people (who, by the way, overwhelmingly don’t modify images at all) the greater pain is around curation & sharing.

Posted by John Nack at 1:14 PM on January 22, 2014

Comments

• J. Peterson — 7:11 PM on January 22, 2014

All of my images (excepts for some Xapshots taken in the ’90s) are time stamped, but that doesn’t help much when searching. It’s often surprisingly difficult to remember the precise year a particular event or trip took place when it’s more than a few years back.

Geo-tagging (thank you smartphone) is a much bigger win; I’ve quickly found photos when I can search for them by location.

• John Stevenson — 7:38 PM on January 22, 2014

John, Thanks for posting the link. The full collection of posts re: Everpix is an interesting collection of info.
    Concerning ” … for most people (who, by the way, overwhelmingly don’t modify images at all) …” – there’s a separate document archived on that topic in the surveys folder set up by Everpix. And the yes (I do edit) to no (I don’t) ratio is 0.5 to 1 on the basis of all answers. If the folks who just try to take better photos are discounted, then the ratio based now upon definitive answers comes much closer to 1:1.
    The direct link to that particular survey is: http://tinyurl.com/kn35ano (it appears to me that Everpix did not offer any editing features …).

• Michael — 8:28 PM on January 22, 2014

This is one of the reasons I wish Bridge had the map view to sort geotagged images. It is the only piece of Lightroom I miss.

• Ian Hill — 9:03 PM on January 22, 2014

Having photos backed up seamlessly and remotely so they won’t ever get lost is the thing that frustrates me most about managing my photo collection.

And not just a one time or one way sync of the data – but an archive that reflects ongoing changes in tagging, naming, editing, deleting and organising that is done on the photos and albums over time.

Many services offer some of those features, but something that integrates bi-directionally with desktop applications like Lightroom, Aperture or iPhoto, mobile apps and the web would be ideal.

Everpix was pretty close, but after the initial sync from an iPhoto collection, ongoing curation relied on using the tools provided by that service, and those changes couldn’t be reflected back into iPhoto.

• John Stevenson — 2:01 AM on January 23, 2014

Ian, This article – http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/29/4560364/best-cloud-storage-photo-app – published last August – didn’t find a clear winner (or even really a preferred trend). It includes a review of the then non-deceased Everpix. (Also, the many comments submitted pretty-much confirm what the reporters had noted.)

• John Stevenson — 1:58 PM on January 23, 2014

… and, from this source, I found Joomeo: http://www.joomeo.com/us/index.php
        It offers:
        - unlimited uploads, including raw format files up to 100 MBytes,
        - and including video content also,
        - organizational options aplenty,
        - photo sharing, even in slideshow format,
        - apps for iOS, (iPad and iPhone), Android and Windows mobiles,
        - plug-ins for Lightroom, Aperture and iPhoto,
        - a built-in “photo lab” (but for European-based subscribers only),
        - plus an API …
        - … at less than $10 per month.

• Sarah Ngo — 3:34 PM on January 27, 2014

Ian, I totally agree with your assessment – no tools out there allow you to gather all your photos into one spot without then forcing you to make them your home base. A whole lot of other stuff (curation, editing) also gets lost in transaction in both directions.

I’m working on a startup idea that deals with this exact issue. I would absolutely love a chance to talk with you and get your ideas on the subject; if you’re willing, shoot me an email at sarah@idealab.com.

For context, I’m with Idealab (http://www.idealab.com) in Pasadena, CA.

• Richard — 12:04 PM on January 23, 2014

No doubt the organizational problem is why this Mac program was developed:

SilentSifter 3
    All your photos and videos, organized

Since I’m not disorganized by nature, nor a heavy Mac user I not seeing a big need for it myself.

Before I began using Lightroom I made sure to tighten up my organizational structure. And that essential requirement is what I think is missing from the product details.

• J. Peterson — 12:35 PM on January 23, 2014

Only loosely related, but check out Somewhere. A really clever mash-up of Instagram & Wikipedia. Or as TechCrunch calls it “just a dream-inducing time sink that was coded on the side.”

• George Wedding — 8:31 AM on January 24, 2014

Does anyone know if Revel ever has been updated to sync or import iPhone/iPad photos from Revel INTO Lightroom? This has been the critical missing link that prompted me to dismiss Revel as a half-baked service until now. Revel could have been essential for Pro photographers. We have families too and we sometimes even use our iPhones for Pro work. How are we supposed to integrate all those images into Lightroom, (which I certainly would like to do)? It isn’t easy, and by omitting this critical capabity, Adobe has pushed Pro users into the Aperture fold.

In an old iLounge review if the first version, the reviewer noted “…Revel’s Adobe Lightroom plug-in is designed for exporting photos to Revel only, providing no capability for synchronizing or even importing photos from the service—a shame considering that Revel employs basic versions of many of the same editing tools in Lightroom and provides non-destructive editing support…”

• Jim Pogozelski — 12:29 PM on January 24, 2014

I still use iView (it actually still works in 10.8.x!) for heavy meta data. I go between that and Lightroom, which is where I work on the visual side of the images. In the past 10 years I haven’t found a better meta-data sync app than iView, so I still use that to add captions and keywords. You can do it in lightroom, but its not so easy to make non-consecutive selections there.

iView also lets me save catalogs that can all be open at the same time for dragging and dropping (I think Lightroom still allows only one catalog at a time). So a family catalog and several work catalogs are pretty easy. Syncing between that and Lightroom is so easy!

I just wish Dropbox could display captions and keywords in their photo viewer. Even Facebook detects and displays captions! *Sometimes* google pictures or whatever its called displays meta data, but the google plus thing actually makes it harder to use. But if your photos are in Dropbox, it stays synced everywhere whether its a keyword change of a color correction change. And since Dropbox automatically sucks in pictures from my phone, it’s pretty easy to keep those up to date too.

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)