February 03, 2014

Speechless

LoonMan

Wow, guys—I can’t thank you enough for your incredibly kind & supportive words. I’m feeling all warm & emotional*, and blessed to have connected—even if just in small ways—with so many interesting folks. I’m trying not to let the well-wishing go to my head (I’m wary of going out like Yaphet Kotto in Live & Let Die. :-)), but if Google needs another Project Loon balloon, they can leverage my now-swollen cranium.

Joking aside, thank you. I’m feeling even luckier than usual, and that’s saying something.

*I finally had to teach my Mac spellchecker the word “verklempt,” I was using it so frequently.

Posted by John Nack at 11:00 PM on February 03, 2014

Comments

• Glyn Dewis — 11:33 PM on February 03, 2014

Hey John
    Just diving in to wish you all the very best.

It’s been a real pleasure getting to ‘meet’ you here on your blog so thanks for all the post, feedback and connecting.

Fabulous news to hear that you’re going to be joining Brian; super guy and always fun to hang out with so hey hopefully I’ll catch you at PSW in Atlanta if you’re going to be there.

All the very best to you,
    Glyn

• John Stevenson — 11:45 PM on February 03, 2014

Wishing you all future success and many more positive impacts John. Somewheres between ten and fifteen years of commitment in the middle innings for a pioneering company – that’s a fine choice. You can – after all – build two or more of those into a full career. Good luck with it all.

p.s. Your post earlier says that you’re going to join “Google’s digital photography team”. Not imaging – but (specifically) photography?

• Doug Nelson — 5:13 AM on February 04, 2014

Hopefully you’ll announce leading the Google Tricorder team (I’ve wanted an image-based tricorder since 1968…point it at anything and it tells you what it is).

• Alexander Hopstein — 6:31 AM on February 04, 2014

Your German teacher calling in, it should be verklemmt ;-) my dear friend! Hope you’ll have a future blog where we can connect…

• Scott Valentine — 6:46 AM on February 04, 2014

I’ll second Doug’s sentiment and add that of the two things I really, really hope to see you accomplish at Google, the first is getting tabs to work properly with form fields on your blog ;)

The second seems really kinda trite, but is sincere: anything you want.

But if we’re throwing out wish list items, here are a few…

Dynamic zone overlays! take a snapshot with your phone and have it tell you the total dynamic range based on a few different systems. Overlays would tell you relative differences on the scene itself.
    Machine-based object/pattern counting. Dump a handful of coins on the counter and get a count of each kind, a total value, and links to conversion rates. This could be applicable to estimating crowd sizes, building height (counting floors), inventory systems, traffic conditions, etc. All this stuff is out there, just not in consumer apps.

Rose-colored glasses app. Put a smile on everyone’s face. Great for meetings. Also related would be the ‘danger filter’. Anything too uncomfortable to deal with is replaced by unicorns and rainbows (thanks to Douglas Adams for the suggestion).

And the list goes on!

• John Stevenson — 7:20 AM on February 04, 2014

OK – now wer’re photographically up-‘n’-runnin’ … Here’s a request for the list, but one with a preamble.

There’s no doubt to me over what contemporary storytellers could use. It really isn’t any more complicated tools for perfectionist editing (as within Photoshop, etc.), leading to ultra-sharp definition across an ultra-vivid color gamut, etc., via new and prescriptive techniques. (The pathway to the “prettyfication” of digital photographs is truly well-traveled to this point in time. Plus the pathway to “nostalgification” – well, we just won’t go there.) Rather, what’s overdue is an alternative route; one that’s more expressive. Where what the camera captures can become the subject of a more minimalist and interpretive practice. For example, along those lines, a much more content-centric idea is: begin by actually taking just one single photographic input apart – dividing it into isolated and/or reduced “pictorial chunks” – and autonomously processing and re-assembling these … in a user-friendly framework.

• John Stevenson — 10:02 AM on February 05, 2014

… ” and autonomously processing and re-assembling these … in a user-friendly framework”, such as on a tablet.

• Jeff — 6:59 AM on February 04, 2014

All the best. Maybe a John Nack on Google in our future?

• Filip Krygsman — 3:35 PM on February 04, 2014

John you are a very nice human being. It is your compassion for connecting with people that made your blog so successful.
    You kept an open mind and allowed people their opinions, especially when all the Adobe controversies hit the proverbial fan over the last few years.
    You remained level headed and never bought all the negativity that was going on, on your blog, including mine.
    You continued to treat everyone equally and with respect. That was awesome. I very much respect you for that and I wish you the brightest future at Google.

• Alex — 7:01 AM on February 05, 2014

“Photoshop guru John Nack joins Google” was the headline on a India Times edition. It went viral in a day.

• Scott Boucher — 1:22 PM on February 05, 2014

Hey John, before you go, can you give us an update on some of the hopefully cool stuff coming for InDesign? And why is it taking so long for InDesign to get updates when all the other apps are adding cool stuff all the time? Do they have a smaller development team? Is the InDesign code not in good shape? What’s the deal?

[I don't have info to share, Scott, but I have forwarded your inquiry to the new PM in charge. --J.]

• Bill — 9:56 PM on February 06, 2014

I hope this blog doesn’t go offline in the near future, it’s a good resource, even if it isn’t updated. Does it really need to close? Why not just rename it to “John Nack on Everything” or “creative innovation” or something like that?

Copyright © 2014 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy and Cookies (Updated)