by Kevin Goldsmith

Created

June 10, 2011

I just approved and then changed my mind and un-approved a comment. The comment was a fair, if somewhat harsh, criticism of the Pixel Bender Toolkit. I originally decided to approve it because it was one person’s opinion and a response to something I wrote, and I don’t mind answering criticisms (even when they are worded less-than-delicately). However, I changed my mind because the writer decided not to include a valid name or e-mail to respond to.

So, that will be a rule I’m going to hold on to moving forward. If you want to post your honest opinion to something I write, I will always try to honor you and will post it; and respond. As long as your comments are:

• honest
  • not advertising
  • not overt flame-bait
  • do not swear
  • are signed with your real name (or handle) AND e-mail address (which is not published, but lets me know that you are willing to put your name to something)

Hopefully, this should not strike anyone as draconian.

JJ, if you want to re-post with your real name and e-mail address, I will gladly approve your comment.

COMMENTS

• By Raymond Camden - 7:55 PM on June 10, 2011

As a blogger, I just want to say I agree 100%. A person who cant stand behind their words is not someone worth replying too. If this were a government entity who could possibly take action against someone protesting – I’d understand. But we’re talking technical crap here. Your life isn’t in danger so stand behind your words!

• By Kevin Goldsmith - 11:16 PM on June 10, 2011

heh, thanks!

• By Stray - 7:55 PM on June 10, 2011

Just checking to see if the poster can delete the comment themselves – after falling foul of a blogger who wouldn’t erase some code I’d put in comments after I’d decided I didn’t want to take part in the discussion after all.

I’m now only commenting properly on blogs that use a system that allows me to control the comment even after publication. Tbh in a decade of taking part in this kind of conversation this is the first time anything like this has happened to me, but it made me focus.

Commenters have rights too – and disqus / blogger at least respect those rights.

• By Kevin Goldsmith - 11:15 PM on June 10, 2011

you should be able to delete your comments. If you can’t I’ll make sure we fix that. Agreed, you own your own words.

• By John Dowdell - 11:04 PM on June 10, 2011

Might want to add “on-topic” too… one standard tactic is to rebut a post by attempting to turn the comment stream into a different subject entirely.

(On my early weblogs on blogger.com and elsewhere I had a similar “you own your words” comments policy, but surprise changes to blogs.adobe.com nuked it awhile ago.)

jd/adobe

• By Kevin Goldsmith - 11:15 PM on June 10, 2011

yeah, good point John. Thanks!