Getting Started with Adobe Premiere Pro (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC)

Welcome to Getting Started with Adobe Premiere Pro. Whether you’re brand new to editing, have some experience with Premiere Pro, or are coming from another editing application, you’ll need good information in order to be successful. I’ve selected specific high-quality articles and video tutorials so that you’ll have the material to be successful in your efforts.

If you are new to Premiere Pro but are not new to editing, please see the page, “Premiere Pro overview documents for Final Cut Pro and Avid Media Composer Users” for resources to get you started editing quickly. Beginners should go through the material that follows.

1. Overview
Watch this video overview, you’ll learn the basic workflow in Adobe Premiere Pro: import, edit and export. If you are confused about the terminology in the video, check out this online glossary of video terms.

Then, read this page describing basic workflow in Adobe Premiere Pro. Although some of the information is repeated from the video, there are additional links to resources for more information (note that the steps describing Adobe Story and Adobe On Location are optional). More info about basic workflow is in this video.

2. Start editing
Go through the steps in the following tutorial. By doing so, you’ll have the basic building blocks of editing under your belt and be able to create a simple movie. More information can be found in this video tutorial.

3. The fundamentals
Now that you have a basic understanding of the workflow, and have created a simple movie, you’re ready to learn more about the fundamentals of working with Adobe Premiere Pro. First, go through the steps in this tutorial to reinforce what you’ve already learned. Then, learn more about editing technique in this video tutorial.

4. Tutorials about the details
Now that you’ve got some experience with Premiere Pro, you’ll want to check out other tutorials that will give you more training with the basics. For Premiere Pro CS5 & CS5.5, see these videos on AdobeTV, and Creative Cow. See these videos on Adobe TV and Creative Cow to get you up to speed on further details about Premiere Pro CS6 tools and workflow. There is also a free video seminar to assist you in learning Premiere Pro called, “Edit your way faster with Premiere Pro CS6″ with Al Mooney.

There are also materials that you can purchase to further your learning about Premiere Pro. I think that the following resources are the best out there.

If you are coming from a different editing application, like Apple Final Cut Pro or Avid Media Composer, see the materials on this page.

5. Edit more creatively and skillfully using the tools
Now that you’ve got the fundamentals under your belt, create new videos that have more elements than your cuts-only video. For example, add a title, transition or soundtrack to the video. Try techniques that may have been brought up in the tutorials, or try new things by consulting Help. In Help, you can enter terms in the upper left corner of the page. By searching this way, you’ll be using the custom search engine for Adobe Premiere Pro Community Help. If you get stuck, you can always come to the Premiere Pro user-to-user forum.

6. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
While you’re still starting out, you may run into trouble. Before that happens, I recommend that you read through the list of FAQs first. The list of FAQs is located at the top of the Premiere Pro user-to-user forum. You’ll see a drop down menu of FAQs. Simply select the topic you want, and then click the Go button.

If you are interested in getting started with Adobe After Effects, see this post on the After Effects Region of Interest blog.Share on Facebook

69 Responses to Getting Started with Adobe Premiere Pro (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC)

1. Pingback: Getting Started with Adobe Premiere Pro from Video2Brain « Premiere Pro work area

2. arik says:

Hi

I am looking over the specs for premiere Pro CS5.5 and it says “For SD/HD workflows, an Adobe-certified card for capture and export to tape”.

But there is no link to any Adobe-certified list, and I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Can someone provide a link.

3. Kim Bolan says:

I have premiere Pro CS4 on a MAC Book (Using WIN XP Boot) for a quick edit in the field. The drive is a SATA II removable. Can I save the file and put the file into premiere Pro CS5 and continue working on it?

4. I try so many time to download adobe but safari don’t able to download.today safari may be download it

5. kmonahan says:

Varinderjit, try using Firefox or another browser if Safari give you problems.

6. kmonahan says:

Kim, take this question to the Premiere Pro user-to-user forum. http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

7. sujan al mamun says:

i want cs5 for trials

• kmonahan says:

Sorry, the window for a CS5 trial are over. The CS5.5 trial is more fully featured and will be identical to editing in the full retail version of Premiere Pro. The CS5 trial did not have all the codecs you may want, so you’re better off with the CS5.5 one.

8. Pingback: Editing with Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS5 if you’re a Final Cut Pro user « Jeff Riegel's VIDEO VLOG

9. Clay says:

Will Adobe Premiere 6.0 install on a Windows XP 64 machine?

10. kmonahan says:

Clay, take this question to the Premiere Pro user-to-user forum. http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

11. James May says:

Hi, I have a HD JVC camera , the file is a .TOD file . Will Premiere Pro be able to read it if I buy your software. Works well on Studio 12 for Windows.
    Thanks James May

12. Pingback: Basic to Advanced Tips for Premiere Pro : micronaut.ca

13. Animesh Nandy says:

can u snd me some basic tutorials, i just want to learn the editing part

14. Michael says:

Hello,
    I have just installed Premiere Pro and After Effects CS4 on my 32 bit PC running Vista and I was wondering if you guys can tell me if I am going to be able to edit my HD video from my Canon 7D camera with these 2 programs. I have CS5 too but it will not run on my 32 bit computers.
    I got both sets of the software in my Master Collection CS5 that I bought earlier this year.
    My Photoshop CS5 runs fine on my PC.
    Thanks

15. Jonathan says:

I read you guys were asking about resources online for various Adobe Programs. Adobeasy is my channel on YouTube. My first Premiere Pro tutorial has over 100k views. Right now I have 22 tutorials in the Premiere Pro playlist. http://www.youtube.com/adobeasytips

16. jana says:

A sad, sad day when the link to the Adobe TEXT tutorial points me over to yet another VIDEO tutorial, from an independent producer, not even Adobe, and ugh, could we find a video producer who has design education, please?

Laugh out loud on one of Clay’s commenters and hope both he and Adobe will be responsive to the feedback:

“Where can I find more info on how to do everything?”

Shut down your computer…

Step away from the machine…

• kmonahan says:

Hi Jana,
      I chose the video tutorial from Clay Asbury to show basic import, editing and export. I think it’s simple, yet valuable for folks coming to Premiere Pro for the first time. I didn’t think the design of the video was that important, it’s more about the basic workflow. I’m sorry you don’t approve of the video, but many others on Clay’s thread appreciated the effort. Best of luck to you!

17. 张凯旋 says:

18. Nicolas says:

Now that CS5.5 is available is there a way to purchase CS4 products? I Downloaded the 30 day trial for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and it wont install because of compatibility problems. Since Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 was working fine I want to purchase this for an identical computer.

19. mansour says:

hi guys
    how can i save my video film in my external hard drive

20. mike says:

lost the bottom part where we drag the vids to actually edit. how to i place it back?

21. alex says:

Hello, all.
    Maybe your help me. I have my PC with video adapter ati radeon 6470m, and can I start and convertation video, my pc is very long busy, very long. I know that my video adapter isn’t support, but maybe you have any ideas, how work this program on my video adapter?

22. Emmanuel Stephen says:

Help my soft is not insttalled

23. may says:

I would like to download Adobe Premiere pro SC4 but I am not able to find the right link on it. Anyone can send me the link please??

24. may says:

I would like to try trial first. How much pay for it please??

25. James Murray says:

Hi there, I’ve been searching hard for a solution to a problem i’m having in adobe premiere cs.5..

I am making a short film and it’s going to be around 20 minutes long, so i bought an external hard drive to keep all my footage and free up space on the laptop, but when i try to export the film i get an error that reads “error compiling movie” or “unknown error” I’ve not changed any settings since i last exported a video in may this year. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

James

26. heinrich says:

Alles auf Amerikanisch? Deutsch ist nicht genehm?

27. 日落中昏暗 says:

制作好一段视频,在输出时,却出现错误

28. Alexandra Norman says:

The video link in the overview section no-longer works.

29. Pingback: FAQ: How do I learn Premiere Pro? | Adobe-Premiere

30. Eireann says:

On the page it says:
    “Watch this video overview, you’ll learn the basic workflow in Adobe Premiere Pro: import, edit and export. “
    But there is no video, only an error.

31. I just like the valuable info you provide to your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and take a look at again here regularly.

I’m rather sure I will be told lots of new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the next!

32. Pingback: Premiere Pro Resources « Kinetic Illustration

33. EYankov says:

I have a question, basically in every movie we get speech + audio, background noise + audio, audio being the music added, how is it possible to extract only the audio and remove speech or other noise pollution from it?

34. Vilay says:

i would like to try adobpremiere pro cs4

35. Tony says:

I have Premier pro CS4 and am looking to upgrade to CS6. What is the best way to go about that?

36. Hey would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m planning to start my
    own blog soon but I’m having a tough time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
    P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!

• kmonahan says:

Hi,
      No problem. I use WordPress, as that’s the platform for Adobe blogs. I have customized it slightly by using fonts from Adobe TypeKit.

37. ISAAC says:

apres la mise a jour de premiere CS4, tout est bloqué: (avant aucun probleme) symptômes post maj: camescope plus reconnu sur onlocation, je lance premiere qui s’ouvre et se ferme avec message d’erreur: 1603,1310 erreur wratting files.
    je lance le telechargement du log de diag: erreur de conformité !!!!

j’efface cs4, je deconnecte le pare feu, l’anti virus: Par 2 fois mon install bloque a 99% general et disque 91%; la3eme fois: blocage a99 et 98 !!!!

PS: Dés le début j’ai eu beaucour de mal a installer ce log ! d’abord sur pc avec xp pro et sur mon portable azus w 7 64 ! depuis 1 an, cela marchait ok !

mon n° de client adobe 135294682 ! Ps: j’ai commencé avec premiere 4.0 !!!!! Un bail !!

MERCI de me répondre, si comme dit google: J’ai de la chance !!!!

38. Pingback: Premiere Primer Part 1 | hardknockfilms

39. this is real says:

don´t ever buy a product from adobe premiere. they don´t read very well the AVI format. if you use the portable version and then you install the version for pc the version on pc doesn´t read the prject from portable version

40. Pingback: April 24 | Katie Talbot's BTA30 Notebook

41. Pingback: April 24 – Unit 5: Creating and Embedding Videos | Tristan Duncan – BTA30

42. Lloyd Lemmermann says:

Kevin, can you (or any other reader so inclined) recommend an in-depth book or video tutorial for coming to Premiere as an experienced still photographer very familiar with Photoshop, ACR, LR, etc? I’d like to better understand how I can best continue to use those tools when needed or in a creative manner, as well as to understand the still vs. motion differences with color filtration, monochrome conversion, color profiles, etc. So, not so much as an instruction manual, per se, but how to translate correctly my stills-processing experience into motion processing.
    Thanks.

43. Pingback: Unit 5: videos and youtube | mitchclarkegdcibusiness

44. HImel says:

How can i import a video file ?