In preparing a demo for the SF Cutters digital editing user’s group, I remembered a way to slip and slide clips in Trim mode.
Here’s how to do that:
- Set up edit point selection with the Ripple tool:
- Slip: Select and Shift select edit points so that they are facing inwards from the clip (see left)
- Slide: Select the edit points so that they are facing outwards from the clip.
- Place the Playhead on the beginning or end of the clip, depending on which side of the edit you want to monitor.
- Launch Trim mode by pressing T.
- Use the JKL keys to slip or slide the frames.
- Press the Space Bar to preview the edit.
- If necessary, repeat steps 4 and 5 until you are satisfied with the edit.
This technique is also described on this video by reTooled.net beginning at 3:45. Keep in mind, as the video shows, you can also use Timeline trimming shortcuts to slip and slide edit points, as well. The technique of controlling multiple edit points is also shown.
Let me know if you find this technique useful.