When behavior in After Effects does not seem as expected, you can reset After Effects preferences as a simple troubleshooting step. From After Effects Help:
To restore default preference settings:
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) while the application is starting.
- A dialog box launches asking you if you want to delete your preferences file. Click OK.
- To also restore default keyboard shortcuts, Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) the OK button.
Some personal notes:
- After you delete preferences, new preferences are automatically rebuilt for After Effects.
- Note: since you have deleted the preferences file, you may have to reset some of your preferences.
- For terminology’s sake, resetting preferences, deleting preferences, trashing preferences, or simply, “trashing your prefs,” all mean the same thing.
Resetting After Effects prefernces has gotten me out of many jams. Try it if After Effects is misbehaving.